PDA

View Full Version : Got a nice new acan, but.....

coachfraley
05-27-2009, 04:09 AM
I picked up this great acan today, but as soon as I got it in the tank, my male clown was all over it. He was bumping it with his belly and pressing his mouth into it (basically hosting bahavior). Once the lights went off, he left it alone, so hopefully he was just scoping it out. If he is doing it again tomorrow, I guess I am going to have to move the coral. It just sucks because I made a great spot for it (good flow and lighting), and now I might have to put it somewhere less desirable.

Here it is before I moved it into the "showpiece" spot.
http://www.cshm.org/images/fraley/orangeacan.jpg

Gayle
05-27-2009, 04:12 AM
Oh that is beautiful!!!!!!!! Maybe he was just checking it out since it was new. I hope you do not have to move it!

coachfraley
05-27-2009, 04:45 AM
Oh well, 20 minutes after I posted, both clowns were doing the dance of love all over it. So I guess the acan is going to live in the corner. I moved it there, and the clowns didn't follow. The clowns tend to stay in the middle because they lay their eggs there. Now what am I going to put in that spot I made????

Gayle
05-27-2009, 05:35 AM
Oh man that stinks!! LOL IDK what to put there, guess you are gonna have to go shopping!!!!

labnjab
05-27-2009, 11:09 AM
That sucks, but awesome looking coral. Maybe try a duncan in the spot

I've been watching our clowns lately, although they spend most of the day in their nem, on occasion I see the female make a few passes in the frogspawn. If she starts to do it too much I'll have to relocate that

coachfraley
05-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Whatever I put there would have to be able to take a beating. Do you think a duncan would be able to handle it?

I would love to put a brain there, but I think it would get beaten up by the clowns.

If the brain and the duncan are out. I will probably make a zoa island, and put something interesting like the tubbs blues on it.

labnjab
05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
A Duncan is an LPS too so its just going to get beat up and an open brain will get destroyed. They only thing they won't beat up would be softies or a leather. A leather would be good there

sid101
05-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Do your clownfish have their own anemone?

coachfraley
05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
No, I don't have an anemone in my tank.

sid101
05-27-2009, 04:37 PM
maybe giving them a home would cause this behavior to stop since they would have the one they are built for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vQKDtxlVY

coachfraley
05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I have debated adding an anemone, but the risk just wasn't worth the reward. The last thing I need is the anemone cruising around and stinging all my corals, or with my luck, it would get sucked up in my vortech.

oldhead
05-28-2009, 01:05 PM
I have debated adding an anemone, but the risk just wasn't worth the reward. The last thing I need is the anemone cruising around and stinging all my corals, or with my luck, it would get sucked up in my vortech.

My thoughts exactly. You could try a sizeable LPS piece though.

tim k
05-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Great looking Acan ( my favourite Coral ) , maybe give it a couple days and then try it again in that spot.

Duncans are very hardy LPS and the store were I have been buying my Coral actually have a pair of Clowns hosting a Duncan , they seem to get a long great.

I actually bought a Duncan for my Clowns but so far they have zero interest in it.

Tim

coachfraley
05-31-2009, 02:29 AM
The last option I had appears to have worked. I moved it yesterday, and the clowns have totally left it alone. The acan looks MUCH happier now that nobody is hassling it.

I am hoping that eventually I will be able to move it into that prime spot, but for now, I think it is ok where it is.

Gayle
05-31-2009, 02:33 AM
Hey that is great news!!!!!!!!!