PDA

View Full Version : B/N Pleco female pair or male pair?

Eileen
05-26-2009, 06:10 PM
I have a 55. gal. tank of fw community fish. I have 3 female albino bushy nose plecos. 1 is the mom about 3" the other 2 are female babies about 2" born last summer. I'm rehoming the mom because I only want 2 bushys in my 55 gal. tank. They are all peaceful with the other tank mates. I heard that if you get a male it will fight other males in the tank is this true? Do I need to just get females to keep the peace in the tank. I do not want to breed the bushys. If I have a pair I might have a problem with them breeding. I have white sand in my tank and want to get a pair of Brown long fin bushy because I think it will show up better in my tank. Should I just stick to a female pair? Will a pair of males fight or be a problem?

Northernguy
05-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I know they get pushy with each other forcing the other fish out of its territory but I havent heard of them fighting.I have never had two males together though.
Here is some info but it doesn't say anything about aggression.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/bushynose.php

Eileen
05-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks, I was looking on-line also for information. It seems that they said that females are more laid back then males. I think I got my answer. I did find also that you should only keep 1 male in with a few females because of no fighting between the males. Since I only wanted 2 of them I think I will go with females. Thanks for the quick reply back.

toddnbecka
05-27-2009, 04:51 AM
I recently moved out a male BN from my 30 long, there were 2m/2f adults in the tank. There never were any problems with fighting, but both females showed their preference for the larger male by spawning with him, so there wasn't any reason to keep the other male.