PDA

View Full Version : Fat females?

DrNic
05-25-2009, 11:04 PM
I was looking at some of the female bettas at one of the retail stores today when I went out to get some food. I noticed that some, but not all, of the females looked fat. Not sick, but fat the way a pregnant platty gets.

Since bettas aren't livebearers I was wondering, is this a bad thing?

rich311k
05-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Thy are probably constipated, not a good thing.

troy
05-25-2009, 11:12 PM
They might be eggbound.

Algenco
05-25-2009, 11:34 PM
could just be ready to spawn

BurningAmberBettas
05-26-2009, 12:52 AM
If the females are where they can see males then chances are they have just filled up with eggs in anticipation of breeding. Its very rare for a female to become eggbound, they'll usually release the eggs (yes they can do it without a male) or reabsorb them. They may be constipated but I doubt it since pet stores dont tend to feed all that much :goldfish:

DrNic
05-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the info. From what I've been reading it's likely that the females are ready to lay since they are in proximity to a bunch of males.

At the moment I am trying to get a 10G shrimp tank working. If that fails though I might try to setup a betta sorority tank. I only recently heard about doing this but I thought it was a cool idea given the great color and fin shapes that are available.

thrakuarium
05-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Eggbound is a possibility. If it were me thinking about getting them I would inspect the cup. If I see excess food and little feces I would lean toward constipation from overfeeding and pass.... any excess crud in the cup would probably cause me to pass on them.