PDA

View Full Version : MIA after water change....

DrNic
05-25-2009, 11:02 PM
I did the first water change in my shrimp tank yesterday. There were about 12 shrimp when I started a week ago (3-4 adults, a handful of juveniles and some really small ones). When I looked in the tank during the week I cold always see some kind of activity with a number of the shrimp moving around and eating. When I checked the tank today though, about 24 hours after the water change, I can only find one shrimp. All things considered this lone shrimp is VERY active, but it's the only one I can find.

Should I be concerned or just give it more time?
I added dechlorinator to the water when I changed it. Do I need to treat with anything else?

Northernguy
05-25-2009, 11:11 PM
I don't think adding anything will help you find your shrimp.Maybe drop a treat in the tank where you can see it well and see what comes out to feed on it.
Did you suck them up during the water change?

Algenco
05-25-2009, 11:12 PM
they are very good at hiding:hmm3grin2orange:

DrNic
05-25-2009, 11:15 PM
I don't think adding anything will help you find your shrimp.Maybe drop a treat in the tank where you can see it well and see what comes out to feed on it.
Did you suck them up during the water change?
I was VERY careful to watch to make sure i didn't suck them up

I will keep my eye on the tank

korith
05-26-2009, 12:01 AM
For my shrimp tanks I take a rubber band and stick some mesh over the gravel vac, to avoid sucking up the little shrimp.

And if you can't see the shrimp in the tank, it doesn't mean they aren't in there, they probably hiding. Sometimes I wonder why I see so few shrimp in my tank, and then I drop some food in the tank and watch them swarm.
Had about 100-140 red cherry shrimp in a 10g, but the most I can usually see is like 30ish.

DrNic
05-26-2009, 01:38 AM
yeah I just looked around after diner. I can now see 2 of the larger adults and zippy still swimming around. I tried tossing in a pellet to see if I could lure any of them to the front of the tank but no dice.

I guess I'll just hold out and see what happens. I wonder if it's worth trying to find more shrimp to put into the tank, rather than waiting for them to multiply on their own.

Owlbehere
05-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Maybe you just spooked them with the vacuum...

DrNic
05-28-2009, 02:05 AM
Definitely have some dead ones showing up now. Looks like they didn't like their water change. I probably should have waited an extra week to make sure they were settled in before doing the change. I can still see a few in the tank but I'v already cleared out 5-6 dead ones.

I definitely want to keep trying though so if anyone has any extras they can spare please drop me a PM.