PDA

View Full Version : Red worms in filter material???????

smaug
05-25-2009, 06:12 PM
In my new pond I have very coarse filter media in my skimmer and in my bio falls.Within a few days of starting this thing up I noticed small red worms [less then half inch]growing in the media.Today I cleaned the stuff again and the little ones are still there but now I got bigger ones as well [over 2 "] still very red.Are these what are called red worms?I know,,,,,snap a pic and show us you all say,I cant for the life of me figure why I didnt this morning.Ill get a pic up soon.
Nevermind,I googled it as I should have in the first place.Apparently they are bloodworms or some called them tubiflex.I am stoked to find that I now have an awesome free live food source!!!Here is a pic from a web site,this is what they look like although many of the ones I have are much bigger.14573
I will truly have some fat butt tropicals now!My peacock eel will think he died and went to eel paradise.I have an idea,if I put a smaller piece of filter material in the skimmer I can take it out loaded with these things and just put it in my tank at night for all the night stalker to have a smorgasbord.thumbs2:

Gayle
05-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Could be blood worms, Midge larvae, the fish will eat them, and you can catch some to freeze for your other fish.

here is a link:
http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/FishHealth/RedWorms.html

smaug
05-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Could be blood worms, Midge larvae, the fish will eat them, and you can catch some to freeze for your other fish.
You are correct I do believe:11:

Gayle
05-25-2009, 06:24 PM
LOL I just read you edit!!

smaug
05-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I have been reading up on this,Ive been blessed.If I were to put this piece of media in the pond with the koi ,it would be crazy nuts for awhile!

Gayle
05-25-2009, 06:30 PM
LOL It would be!!!!!! Strange to think that a fly could give you a gift huh?

smaug
05-25-2009, 06:42 PM
The fish will love them for it.

DrNic
05-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Tubiflex worms can be expensive around here. Your fish are going to love them!! Were they naturally occuring or did you feed them to the fish at some point and they just hung around?

smaug
05-29-2009, 10:19 PM
They would have to be naturally occuring.I think they are red worms though,not tubiflex.