PDA

View Full Version : Green Sand?

s72450
05-25-2009, 12:59 PM
I have a planted tank with fifty pounds of pool filter sand. I've never had this problem before, but now I'm starting to notice how the sand has algae in it, it's turning it all into a very bright green. I stirred it up a bit trying to push it under but now it's came back full force and is nearly covering all the sand, it looks horrible.

What can I do? I'm really not in the position to be able to break down the tank, but I'd like this gone. Please help.

labnjab
05-25-2009, 01:04 PM
What are you water parameters and water change schedule? Also what is you stocking and feeding schedule?

Drip Loop
05-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Yea, to help solve your problem, we will need all the details. What are your nitrates at, how much direct sunlight does the tank get, how many watts per gallon does the tank have along with the color temp of the bulbs your using.

domjd05
06-02-2009, 11:54 PM
I had this problem when I first put sand into my 55g malawi tank.

I used sandblast sand, and my filter is set up on the left side of the tank...

I always fed my fish on the RIGHT side of my tank.. which also happened to be where the algae on the sand was forming.. so I vacuumed up what I could, mixed the sand around a bit, and started to only feed them on the left side of the tank... I took a few days for them to adjust to the food on the other side of the tank, but I have not had a single problem with algae in that tank since

On the other hand, my 46g was recently changed to sand using pool filter sand as you have used... after a few days I noticed the sand turning green as well. I simply cut down my lighting, did a little water change, only this time I didn't fill the tank up quite so much, so that the water from the filter return created more of a current in the tank, thus keeping things moving around a little, making it harder for the algae to grow, and so far its worked!