PDA

View Full Version : how can you...

cocoa_pleco
03-06-2007, 03:47 AM
how can you sex bettas?

Betta_noob
03-06-2007, 03:56 AM
For the most part the boys are the ones with the long flowing fins and bigger bodies. While the girls for the most part are more compact.
HOWEVER this is not always the case because there is a type of bettas called "plakats" these are the short finned anncestors from which all of ours are descended. So in this case the only sure fire way is to look for an "oviposter" which is a white spot on the female's belly where her eggs come out.

Plakat- http://www.betta-splendens.net/image/plakat.JPG
Female- http://www.betta-splendens.net/image/delta.JPG
Notice the tiny white spot on her belly.

Hope this helps!

cocoa_pleco
03-06-2007, 04:04 AM
Thanks. Im absolutely sure that mine is male, since he has long fins and looks big. I wanted to try 2 females, but i guess i cant now. il get some ghost shrimp to go wit him.

cocoa_pleco
03-06-2007, 04:33 AM
may as well throw in another question. would a otto cat, 3 ghost shrimp, and the betta all get along in a 2.5g?

Betta_noob
03-06-2007, 04:46 AM
Well I would say yes to the ghost shrimp but I would be hesitant about the otto only because due to the "inch of fish per gallon" rule you would then be over stocked as the otto will eventually be 2 inches. So if you wanted to put all of them in together I'd reccomend a 5 gallon.

Also just as a little FYI if you do ever start getting betta females to put in a tank together you should always get at least 4, if you put just two and a lot of times just three they will end up beating each other to death. They need to be in a little group so that they can work out their little pecking order. In addition they need tons and tons of hiding places! But if you want you could start a sorority in a ten gallon, just heavily decorate it and put like 5 girls in it :D

Oh and if you want you can post a picture of your fish, that'd be the easiest way for me to tell :)

cocoa_pleco
03-06-2007, 05:01 AM
i think il just get a few shrimp for cleaning. The bettas tank does have a very low current filter with java fern and java moss. The filter is is the hagen one that drips out of the outtake.