PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day

bettaboy691
03-05-2007, 09:58 PM
i had to euthanise my betta today, his name was appollo.
he was seriously ill, wey past the healing stage, not too sure what he had, lots of cottonwool like features near his mouth and gills, his fins rotten and destroyed,color lost, he was just staying still for hours on end, looking so unhappy. i couldnt bear watching anymore, i had to do something, i used the dipping in freezing water method, it was the first time i have ever euthanised a fish, i felt guilty i had ended his life, such a shame a beautiful, colorful character had to spend its last hours in misery and suffering, on the other hand i felt better it wasnt suffering anymore,
i very much doubt any meds could have done the trick, it came on so fast, appollo was fine on saturday, sunday, looking bad, today (monday) lots worse.i isolated him from the main tank to prevent spread, all the other fish seem fine.
rest in piece appollo

i just wanted to share this with you.
have you ever had to euthanise a fish, for what reason?

Chrona
03-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Sorry to hear that. At least he didn't have to suffer anymore :(

Severus
03-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. You did the right thing though...

Sounds like he might have had a fungus

bettaboy691
03-05-2007, 10:36 PM
yeah i thought a fungus, i have no treatment on hand, and it would be after school tomorrow befor i could reach the fish shop, no garantee he would survive till then, and its just prolonging the pain.
cheers for your comments guys.

cocoa_pleco
03-05-2007, 11:39 PM
sounded like the end of the road for him if he died from so many diseases.

*Sarah*
03-06-2007, 04:01 AM
Aww, I'm sorry. That stinks.