PDA

View Full Version : Upside down catfish Qs

Incredulous_Ed
03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi,
I bought 3 upside down catfish for a planted tank with plently of hiding places. They don't come out much. Is there any way to encourage the to come out more?
Also, 2 of their bellys have a lump in them. I'm thinking either disease, eggs, or obesity.
-Ed

cocoa_pleco
03-05-2007, 11:59 PM
my upside down cat was 100% nocturnal and sat in a cave all day, but i did see him once come out and the lights were off

sergo
03-06-2007, 02:18 AM
my upside down cat was 100% nocturnal and sat in a cave all day, but i did see him once come out and the lights were off ditto here with my 2 ud's. mine will come out as soon as the lights go off and tend to have a little bulge in their bellies too. i'm fairly certain it's from eating. they still zip around like normal so i'm going to get too concerned. they are really fun to watch.

cocoa_pleco
03-06-2007, 02:43 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sergo, your quote in your sig is so true

sergo
03-06-2007, 02:46 AM
i have it in my sig on another forum. a friend said that to me quite a while back and it just stuck with me ever since.

cocoa_pleco
03-06-2007, 02:47 AM
i love watching people fall down stairs for some reason

jeffs99dime
03-06-2007, 04:26 AM
my u.d. cats only come out at night. they're nocturnal scavengers. there's really nothing you can do to get them to come out "more"

gm72
03-08-2007, 10:43 PM
There was another question about this recently and I responded by telling the person that my upside-downs come out if the lights are off. Of course, you can't see them then. So I added an LED light-changing crystal. I think penn plax makes them. Just enough light to see them and they still come out. I also very lightly sprayed the light tube with heat resistant spray paint to dim the light. They responded well to that as well.

sergo
03-08-2007, 11:19 PM
i just turn on a lamp that is about 10 feet away from tank. it's enough to light the room and enough for me to see them throughout the tank and it doesn't bother them at all. it seems as long as no light is shining directly at the tank and it's not extremely bright, they will come out. you should see the pupils on their eyes, they are huge and they don't shrink. that's why they hide all day when the lights are on. try some subtle lighting and see how they react to it.

Drumachine09
03-09-2007, 12:22 AM
My UDCF was a doofus. He was always coming out and swimming around. I dont think i ever saw him swim right side up. They like to be in groups with low lighting, so that may be your problem. That or they just need some time to adjust.

Incredulous_Ed
03-09-2007, 05:41 AM
I've got an extra bulb laying around, so I'll try that. The only time I see them is when I put in an algae wafer.

It seems the biggest one is shy and the smallest one is brave. Odd.

gm72, how did you set up the LED? I have an LED flashlight. Will this work?

Drumachine09
03-09-2007, 05:43 AM
You could go buy a battery clip, a couple yards of wire, and 4-10 Cheap blue LEDS, and i could walk you through putting them inside your Hood.