PDA

View Full Version : Establishing a freshwater community

ryanwms
03-08-2006, 01:37 AM
I have a new tank setup running - 29 gallon freshwater tank. Currently I have 3 white clouds, 3 leopard danios, and 3 zebra danios - like I said, it's a NEW tank.
I'm looking into what to include in my tank in establishing the community.
I know right off the bat I will be adding a Betta fish (a single male), which will be a tank-warming gift from my girlfriend. After this, the inhabitants are up in the air.
I saw at a local pet shop some freshwater frogs - are these good members of a community? What about adding Guppies in with the above?
Any other thoughts as to what will be attractive, hearty, and inexpensive?

Thanks!

William
03-09-2006, 09:06 PM
You can have both African dwarf claw frogs and guppies in the tank you describe.

ryanwms
03-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Would a Betta fish be safe with the mix?

William
03-10-2006, 03:44 AM
Yes, The Betta will be safe. It ill if anything but the other fish in danger ;-)

macd
03-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Do not add any fin nippers - tiger barbs etc. - I did this way back to my (and the beta's ultimate cost).
Danios and tetras are ok with betas, but IMHO - the best thing for betas is at tank of their own....
MacD

ryanwms
03-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I ended up with several (8) Danios (I had a 9th, but he got stuck to the filter intake), then I added 5 painted glass tetras, 5 male guppies, a Betta, and my girlfriend bequeathed me two goldfish. So far the tank is going very well. Testing twice a week, and levels are staying fairly stable, and in a good range. No territoriality among the fish. The goldfish eat a lot - they're pretty big. Once the weather stays warm, they're going to move to the pond out back.