PDA

View Full Version : b/n plecos

Typej084
05-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Just a quick question, i have 3 b/n's in a 40gal, is this big enough for the 3 of them? I've had them for about 4 months now since they were tiny from my lfs, just noticed one of them had grown his little bristles round his mouth and becoming agressive towards the other 2, should i worry too much or is he just flexing his muscle? All 3 are about 2 inches long. Most of the fights seem over food, they always want the same item......

rich311k
05-22-2009, 10:39 AM
They should ok. I have 3 in my 36. How many males do you have?

iZinedane
05-22-2009, 10:41 AM
they should be ok in there. thumbs2:

Kemppy
05-22-2009, 11:12 AM
They will be fine in there. He is just starting to strut his stuff. I have many BN's and I bet soon you will have little ones.
Sue

Typej084
05-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Oh ok sweet thumbs2: I have 1 male definately and another the same size with bristles starting to come out i think and the other is a few cm's shorter with no bristles. Just another question are the b/n's known to blend in with the background they're on? Sometimes when i see them they have pale patches on them (mostly when on the gravel which is a lighter colour) then look back a few mins later they're back to solid colour. Thanks for the replies!

rich311k
05-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Plecos are great color changers, perfectly normal.

Typej084
05-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Awesome, thanks for that

Northernguy
05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
It sounds great!They are cute in an ugly sort of way! lol
Is there enough caves in there so each can claim one!
Bns tend to get pushy when their space is intruded on.
Do you have any pics of the tank?

toddnbecka
05-22-2009, 04:58 PM
If you end up with 3 males you might want to swap one off for some females. I had 2m/2f in a 3' (30 gallon) tank. No problems between the males, the larger one claimed a cave and spends most of his time inside. I recently sold off the smaller male, the 2 females have both shown their preference for the larger male by spawning with him.
If you do get them spawning you'll want another tank for growout to raise fry. Females will spawn several times in succession, multiple females will produce quite a number of fry. Last week I netted out 116 fry from earlier spawns by both females (moved them into a 75) and there are still even more smaller fry from the more recent spawns in the tank.

Typej084
05-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah there's plenty of hiding spaces, might find another cave like ornament to put in somewhere just to be safe and sorry no pic's yet might get onto that too. If the third turns out to be male as well i'll go swap it for a female, even tho thats alot of fry :ssuprised: , i would need another tank! Have my hands full with 40 or so molly fry. Thanks for the replies, this is the only fish i own i'm not 100% on.

Typej084
05-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Actually i forgot a question, do you need driftwood for b/n's?, some say you do and some say you don't....

rich311k
05-22-2009, 11:15 PM
I always have it in the tank with them. They seem to like it.

toddnbecka
05-23-2009, 04:45 AM
My females are still young, so their spawns are relatively small. I've read than fully mature BN's will produce up to 200 eggs each spawn. I'll be moving a spawning pair of chanchitos (cichlids) back into the tank for population control soon. I moved them into another tank to allow the BN fry to live, but I have more than enough to deal with for a while now. Until I moved the cichlids out there was only 1 BN juvie that survived long enough to grow past the edible size, and about a half-dozen ramshorn snails. I never realized the cichlids were so effective for snail control, but the tank is loaded with little ones now.

Typej084
05-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Oh ok, the grown mollies in the tank should be good for population control should an explosion of b/n fry happen, those fish eat anything :18:

toddnbecka
05-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Mollies for population control? I ended up returning a pair of sailfins to the lfs because they wouldn't eat their own fry and I was tired of scooping out growing juvies before they reached breeding size. Cichlids or (predatory) catfish are generally the best bet for fry disposal.
BN's don't actually eat driftwood like some species of pleco's, but they do eat whatever grows on it (algae, etc.)

Typej084
05-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Mine must be the evil breed of molly, out of a 40 odd batch of fry i only have about 15 left! That's good about the driftwood, i heard all pleco's needed it. That's why the questions are asked tho, thanks!