PDA

View Full Version : Java Moss- Act like a filter?

Zilla
05-22-2009, 01:45 AM
This is kind of a weird question, but it's something I've been thinking about.

Can Java Moss filter things that are in water besides things like nitrates? I have copper in my water and have spent several weeks trying to figure out a way to deal with it. When I had my water tested, I was told that the copper level was .25 ppm or something crazy like that, so of course, I went into panic mode and filled the tank ( it's still cycling with no fish) with spring water as that much copper would be toxic to anything I put in it even though I was told it was acceptable. Not cool...

I ordered a copper test and ran it today and came up with .6 ppm which still isn't great, but it's much better than .25 ppm. According to Seachem, copper levels for freshwater should not go above .5 ppm so I'm trying to come up with a plan to work with what copper we have.

I bought Cuprisorb which I'm testing out in our QT tank as there are no fish in the house anyway, and I've thought about mixing tap water with either Spring or R/O water for weekly water changes. Doing this won't get rid of the copper, but it certainly won't add to what is there. I've also added Purigen to the big tank upstairs just to cover my bases should there be any other yuck in the water that I don't know about.

I don't want a tank covered in moss, but if it helps to absorb some of it, it may be worth investing in some.

Algenco
05-22-2009, 01:48 AM
wouldn't help with the copper, Cuprisorb is your best bet

PostalPenguin
05-23-2009, 03:28 AM
Umm 0.6ppm > 0.25ppm. In other words you have 6 parts per 10 million while your original water had 2.5 parts per 10 million.

And to avoid having to use cuprisorb on all your tanks an idea: Set up a water resevoir, whether an aquarium or a rubbermaid bin that has a filter with nothing but cuprisorb in it. This way you can just take water from it when doing water changes and dump more water into the resevoir where the filter will strip the copper out. If you get ambitious you could hook it up in the basement with a auto-top off system. However, at that point it would probably be cheaper to get an RO system.

But plants do use copper but I doubt its to a significant extent.

Zilla
05-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Umm 0.6ppm > 0.25ppm. In other words you have 6 parts per 10 million while your original water had 2.5 parts per 10 million.

And to avoid having to use cuprisorb on all your tanks an idea: Set up a water resevoir, whether an aquarium or a rubbermaid bin that has a filter with nothing but cuprisorb in it. This way you can just take water from it when doing water changes and dump more water into the resevoir where the filter will strip the copper out. If you get ambitious you could hook it up in the basement with a auto-top off system. However, at that point it would probably be cheaper to get an RO system.

But plants do use copper but I doubt its to a significant extent.

The first water test I had done went to a LFS. I've since gotten my own test kit and tested the water a few times just to make sure I knew what I was dealing with and have gotten 0.6 on a consistant basis. I don't know where or how they got .25 as a result.

Good idea and it's already being done! :thumb: I tested the reserve tank yesterday and it's clear of copper. I need to buy a bigger filter for that tank, but the one I have is stuffed with Cuprisorb and Sea Gel just to get rid of any other ugly stuff that may be lurking in our tap water. The water doesn't have phosphates coming out of the tap, so I think I'm going to switch over to Purigen and just use that along with the CupriSorb instead.

I've been looking into R/O systems and have spoken to my plumber about them. The consensus seems to be that R/O systems waste lots of water and housings on the cheaper systems don't stand up to the test of time. Being on a well doesn't allow me to waste water, so for now, we can buy R/O water in large amounts. The LFS that sells it is 40 minutes away, but since we'll be buying fish from them anyway, we'll just make the trip worth it once the big tank is done cycling.

I suppose if I get fed up with spending money on gas and R/O water it's possible that I'll eventually invest in a R/O system, but I want to research the subject further. We have a rain barrel for the front yard to water outdoor plants with, so I guess we could always add a second for R/O waste water. The outdoor plants won't mind much as they are always having their soil amended with compost anyway.

Sarkazmo
05-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Some people do use the 'waste' water from RO units for things like flushing toilets and washing clothes and other such things. RO's are great accept for the waste water. Three gallons of waste for ONE gallon of RO'd water gets pretty expensive in the long term, but you also have to take into account that once you've filled your tanks you'll only be using the RO for top offs and changes which will be significantly less water.

I don't see how you're going to lug that much water home unless you've got your own tanker truck :)

Water's somewhere around 8lbs per gallon, I think. So just 20 gallons is 160lbs.

For me, there's no way I could get that much water into the house so I'd have to go RO for my health alone, heh.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Sark

Zilla
05-28-2009, 02:51 PM
No tanker truck needed as we're only going to keep 15 gallons of RO water around at any given time as we won't be using all the time. It will be here to make a "water cocktail" if I have to.

Treating the tap water in a tank here has proven to be a big help, but the water out of the tap is really soft, so I'll have to add either a small piece of coral or some crushed coral to the filter to help it out. There's also a self serve spring water place up the street that I forgot about. They get .25 per gallon, but I have no idea what the water parameters are for it. One of these days I'll get curious enough to actually buy a gallon and test it.

Anyway, we do have a plan which has taken almost 5 weeks to put together, but I think I've got a handle on it now. :ssmile: