PDA

View Full Version : Odd Severum Behavior?

Flowcus
05-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Well this afternoon while watching some ESPN I glanced over at my 55 to see whats up in their world. I ended up watching the tank for 20minutes in amazement. One of the Juvenile ( 1.5" ) green severums in my tank was picking up small pebbles from the substrate, then moving them accross the tank and piling them up. It did this for a good 15-20minutes non stop, and guarded the small pile of rocks every time someone came to see what was going on.

I really wanted to jump up and grab my camera to get a video of it doing this as I have never seen a fish do this, but didn't want to chance startling it. Is this just part of it establishing its territory? I found it to be odd, but also intriguing at the same time! Its almost as if it was a Job it felt it needed to finish. Once it was satisfied with the pile it sat there and guarded the pebbles for another minute or two and then swam off as if nothing happened. It doesn't seem to care about the pile of rocks anymore as the corys are sitting near it now and the severum is cruising with the angels.

I know the severums are known for their odd and quirky swimming and behavior... but nothing like this! Makes me want to get a 150+ gallon just for Severums to be entertained like this more often! thumbs2:

Red
05-21-2009, 09:52 PM
yeah, mine has from front to back in a section of the tank to the bottom with rocks piled up, and she goes to bite me when I try to put them back. And I love severums!

Flowcus
05-21-2009, 09:55 PM
yeah, mine has from front to back in a section of the tank to the bottom with rocks piled up, and she goes to bite me when I try to put them back. And I love severums!

Thats fantastic! Yesterday during a water change they were nipping my hand up, and then one decided to swim under, and inside the gravel vac and was just swimming up and down the gravel vac while I was cleaning. They are moving up my list of favorite fish to keep quite quickly! Even making me think more and more about just planning my next big tank for Severums instead of Discus! thumbs2:

thatcichlidguy
05-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Heh heh , mine do weird stuff like that too. Mine have claimed a third of the 125 and since I have a sand substrate, I sometimes have little sand piles scattered around their area. I have seen them take sand and make a pile on top of a flat rock . No real reason for it, just looks like busy work. Quirky.

Dave66
05-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Mid to large Cichlids are wont to do that: pile gravel where they want it. Some times it's connected with breeding, most times it seems they do it for something to do. I've had large Cichlids that have been moved to smaller quarters while their tank was cleaned, and one in particular - a Jack Dempsey - showed his displeasure with the temporary move by piling up the gravel in a large, steep slope on one side of the tank, raced up it and flopped right out of the tank, apparently making a bid for his regular quarters.

Needless to say the Dempsey was undamaged and several bricks were placed on the hood to prevent him from trying to get 'over the wall' again.

The behavior is why mid-sized to larger Cichlids are so popular.

Dave

Flowcus
05-21-2009, 10:14 PM
I've kept a few different Africans before, but they were smaller sized Mbunas. Never have I seen anything like this in a Cichlid before, but these are also my first South Americans.

I know Oscars are well known for their picky attitudes with tank decor, and re-arranging it to their desired way depending upon their mood that day. I'm excited to hear i'll be able to witness behavior like this with my Sevs! I just hope when their bigger they don't go moving the whole tank around.... not unless I can watch them in the process! :hmm3grin2orange:

Abbeys_Mom
05-22-2009, 12:30 PM
My Severum collects MTS shells in his corner by the filter. First he moved the gravel out, right down to the glass, and then stacks is shells. It's funny when he gets a live one! He also prefers small white rocks. I think they do it to attract females.

Northernguy
05-22-2009, 01:51 PM
I have never seen an oscar not move the gravel around! They do it with such attitude and determination.I keep moving it back in place so it can keep it busy!
Cichlids are hard workers! lol

Ocellatus
05-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Yep they are! :hmm3grin2orange:

Abbeys_Mom
05-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Well that fish is clearly building a ladder with plans for global domination.

Oscar_freak12321
05-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Severums are such funny fish. Gotta love em.

domjd05
05-28-2009, 10:52 PM
I've kept a few different Africans before, but they were smaller sized Mbunas. Never have I seen anything like this in a Cichlid before, but these are also my first South Americans.

I have to agree, I started with mbuna, and still love them.. but the south americans have vastly overturned the mbunas as my favorite cichlids to keep.