PDA

View Full Version : Sir Tristen's 35 gallon low tech planted.

Sir Tristen
05-21-2009, 03:33 AM
I'm getting ready to move and can finally look into setting up my 35 gallon aquarium! I got it for a steal a couple months back, but knowing I was going to be moving soon, prudence dictated that I wait to set up the tank. Well, the time has come. I'll be moving in a couple weeks, and my plans can move forward.

The goal of this tank is a low light, low tech setup. Thus far I have the tank, a stand, glass tops, heater, aquatech 30-60 filter, 50 lbs of eco complete and two 36" lights at 30 watts each. One light is a t8 and the other a t 12. Total cost so far $40 (and a little gas money).

I've also got a couple pieces of driftwood and some plants from my 10 and 20 gallon tanks. I'll be wanting to buy some more, and I am definitely open to input from all of you as to good options.

Plant options so far:
Amazon sword
Java fern
Narrow leaf Java fern
Java moss
Elodea
Indian Fern
Watersprite
Wisteria (almost died, some baby plants growing from stocks)
Anubias (not sure what type)
Corkscrew Val

(I think that is my current list of plants that I can draw from.)

I want a carpet plant, probably narrow leaf chain sword or lutea. If I could get my hands on some dwarf sag, possibly that. . .very open to suggestions.

I guess I should post that my ph is 8 out of the tap. I plan on diy co2 with two bottles to hopefully lower the ph a bit, but plan on 7.5 to 8 and very hard water.

Any thoughts on these or other plants for this setup?

Pics and more to come. . .

PostalPenguin
05-21-2009, 03:42 AM
For a carpet plant have you looked at microsword? I am trying it out now in my 20g and from pictures I have seen online it has a nice look. Looking forward to pics!

Sir Tristen
05-21-2009, 03:46 AM
Is microsword different than narrow leaf chain sword?

PostalPenguin
05-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Is microsword different than narrow leaf chain sword?

I believe so. My microsword is Lilaeopsis brasiliensis while pygmy sword is echinoduras tenellus. But I have heard both species called microsword.

MCHRKiller
05-22-2009, 02:44 AM
4 leaf clover is a good low light forground :22:

Sir Tristen
05-22-2009, 03:22 AM
4 leaf clover? Got any links?

Gayle
05-22-2009, 03:26 AM
LOLhttp://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/thumbs/fourleaf.jpg (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=12059)
:hmm3grin2orange: I had to, sorry!

Sir Tristen
05-22-2009, 03:38 AM
LOLhttp://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/thumbs/fourleaf.jpg (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=12059)
:hmm3grin2orange: I had to, sorry!

hehehe
I looked it up on plantgeek, and the AQUATIC four leaf clover did look nice, but I think I liked the dwarf sag best of what I saw. They had a pic of a nice, lush carpet, and it looked beautiful. I also liked the narrow leaf chain and microsword, but they may be a little more demanding. Now, if I can just hunt down the sag. I only have a petsmart close by, but I may be able to find something.

Still open to suggestions on all plant aspects here (and thanks for those I have already received thumbs2: )

MCHRKiller
05-22-2009, 03:40 AM
Its sci name is "Marsilea quadrifolia". But it will form a lovely carpet alot like glosso but under low light conditions, it forms by runners under the substrate to propigate itself. Kind of a neat little plant really :22:

http://www.darkwhite.info/images/plants/Marsilea%20quadrifolia.jpg
Not my pic, btw

Sir Tristen
05-22-2009, 04:50 AM
Wow! That does look really nice.

MCHRKiller
05-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Yeah it is pretty :) Being a member of the fern family I have seen people tie it down to wood and rocks to.

With that lighting you could grow alot of plants with a good fert schedule, Id definatly include some fast growing "weeds" Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia repens, Suset Hygro, and some floaters like Red root floater, and dwarf water lettuce are excellent. In a low light tank these will really keep your algae in check by simply outcompeting it. Ive also had a strand of Hornwort do very well in my 55G, especially since Ive never bought or owned it..a tiny piece must have came in on something else now its nearly 2ft long and very lush.

Crypts are great...they add alot of color to your tank, I have some C.lutea that are fantastic definatly a favorite plant and C.wendtii "chameleon" is very pretty as well. Red tiger lotus, amazon swords, vals(dont dose excel) and of course mosses and ferns. So many options available for low light tanks especially those that are working with 1.5-2WPG. :22:

MCHRKiller
05-22-2009, 05:40 AM
Yeah it is pretty :) Being a member of the fern family I have seen people tie it down to wood and rocks to.

With that lighting you could grow alot of plants with a good fert schedule, Id definatly include some fast growing "weeds" Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia repens, Suset Hygro, and some floaters like Red root floater, and dwarf water lettuce are excellent. In a low light tank these will really keep your algae in check by simply outcompeting it. Ive also had a strand of Hornwort do very well in my 55G, especially since Ive never bought or owned it..a tiny piece must have came in on something else now its nearly 2ft long and very lush.

Crypts are great...they add alot of color to your tank, I have some C.lutea that are fantastic definatly a favorite plant and C.wendtii "chameleon" is very pretty as well. Red tiger lotus, amazon swords, vals(dont dose excel) and of course mosses and ferns. So many options available for low light tanks especially those that are working with 1.5-2WPG. :22: