PDA

View Full Version : help with basking lamp

kaydonovan
05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi,
I have no experience with aquariums etc and would like some advice please.
I have an aquarium with a lid, it has the two flourescent strips but I need to attach a basking lamp. I purchased one of these and was assured that it is a safety one but it just consists of a ceramic lamp holder which the lamp screws into. It is wired up with just a brown and blue wire going into it with no instructions at to which way around the wires go so I assume that it makes no difference. The problem i have is how do I attach it to my aquarium?
It came with two screws so obviously it needs to be screwed onto the lid somewhere but I am really concerned that the wires will be in the tank and will be wet fromt the condensation etc. I know my filter and heater are underwater but they are in sealed units and do not have the wires hanging out.... help please as my sons two baby turtles are going to get cold!!!!

red eyes
05-22-2009, 06:18 AM
you could try placing the lamp out, by the aquarium.
but I guess if you seal up any visible areas with epoxy you (should) be ok, water is in fact a very very poor conductor and it simply being damp shouldn't cause electrocution or shortages.