PDA

View Full Version : Ancistrus

tonka
05-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi

i am just starting out trying to breed Ancistrus, i have just had 5 wild fish imported. can somebody tell me if adult Ancistrus will eat baby ancistrus, and can i leave tem all in 1 tank.
regards
tony
PS i am new to this site.

Northernguy
05-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
How small are the babies?
Usually bristle nose or bn pleco are extremely gentle. They get bossy move other fish out of their cave,shell, or whatever they cal their home.
Here is more info for you!http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=49

tonka
05-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi
they are between 2 inch and 3 1/2. i know i have at least 1 male he is the biggest fish and has quite a few bristles. i know these are a gentle fish i have had 1 in my community tank for a couple of years, i think they are funny little fish. thats the reason i wanted to try my hand at breeding them. i have them in a 2ft x 2ft x 18in tank with loads of bog wood and caves. do you know if the other bristlenose will eat the fry when the father leaves them.

regards
tony
PS thanks for the reply.

tonka
05-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the link, and i have filled out my profile.
cheers

tony

Northernguy
05-19-2009, 10:00 PM
They should be fine as long as they get their own caves when they get bigger.Its when they get older that you may have to seperate the males.Only if you see aggression.Its not really a big tank.If you get into a bigger tank you will have less chances of difficuties.Lotsa caves,plants and wood so they do not have line of site all the time.
Bns are great in community tanks.Mine hides all day and comes out at night.

Just curious, how long has the tank been cycled? Bns need a well established tank,preferably cycled for at least 3 months!
What else is in the tank?Any fish or inverts?
Post some pics too! lol
You gonna be hanging around?

toddnbecka
05-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Which species of Ancistrus did you receive?

tonka
05-20-2009, 08:43 PM
hi

The type are cirrhosus, They are the only fish i have in the tank.The water is cycled through 7 X 2ft x 2ft x 18inch tanks with a 3ft sump filter. the water has been cycled for 4 months which is when i set up my fish house.
my PH is 7 and my GH is 6 temp is at 27c.
i Have bred angels for a long time but i fancied trying something new, i chose bristlenose because i think they are funny, and they sell well in my local fish shop.
Any info which will help me will be welcome. i will post some pics soon.
many thanks
tony

toddnbecka
05-21-2009, 05:11 AM
They prefer caves for spawning, you can make your own or buy some online. My BN male actually chose a shell in a cluster of large barnacles I had placed in the tank for the L333's. He spends most of his time in there, even when he isn't fanning eggs or guarding fry. It's best to have several different caves available, and they tend to prefer one near a water flow (spraybar or filter outflow), probably because the water in the cave stays fresher near the circulation.
Once they spawn the female will leave, the male will fan the eggs until they hatch, then keep the fry in the cave until they're fully developed. If he does happen to kick some wigglers out don't worry. Once the eggs hatch they're fine with or w/out the male (assuming no threats in the tank.)

tonka
05-21-2009, 06:41 PM
hi
would other bristlenose be a threat?.
cheers
Tony

toddnbecka
05-22-2009, 05:17 AM
No, the other adults ignore the fry. Even when I lifted the barnacle cluster out of the tank (not realizing there were fry inside) and wigglers with yolk sacs scattered everywhere they all turned up a few days later. They didn't go back into the shell with the male, they just hung out wherever they settled until they became free-swimming. Those fry were actually moving around the tank freely sooner than the ones that remained in the shell.