PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the trouble?

coachfraley
05-19-2009, 07:26 PM
I am doing some web-design work for an acrylic aquarium maker, so I have the opportunity to get a free aquarium. I would upgrade to a larger tank, but I really don't want to buy a new stand, lights, skimmer, more live rock, etc. So here is the idea that I have been mulling over:

Right now I have a 31g all-in-one. So my display volume is only 22g and my sump/fuge is 9g. If I ditch the all-in-one concept, I could have him build me a tank that is 24"x19.5"x17" with a corner overflow. The tank would be 1" taller than my current tank and my display volume would be approximately 30g (accounting for a 2g overflow). I would then set up a 10g sump in my stand.

Overall water volume: 31g to 43g
Display volume: 22g to 30g

The new setup would not be very expensive. I could use ALL of my current equipment. The only costs would be the fuge baffles, new sand, plumbing parts, and a return pump.

The BIG issue is the amount of work that is involved. I am just not sure if it is worth the trouble to transfer everything along with having to go through the cyano stage again, just to pick up a little extra display volume.

So what do you think? Would you make the change? Or should I just have him build me a tank and then sell it?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

travie
05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure if it would be worth. It takes a lot of time and effort to move a tank, and you wouldn't really be getting that much bigger of a tank.

tim k
05-19-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't think it's worth the effort.
To much work to little gain.

Just get him to build you a nice BIG tank and use the old one as a Fuge thumbs2: .

Tim

rageybug
05-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Why not get a larger tank made and sell your all-in-one to help fund the new equipment you would need?

oldhead
05-19-2009, 11:22 PM
I would go for it. Acrylic tanks are beautiful and if you have the chance to get one cheap I'd hop on it. Besides extra room is extra room, right?

Red
05-19-2009, 11:39 PM
I wouldn't, your not upgrading much. Have him build you a big fw tank!

Miltonic
05-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Its not worth it, I would just get a tank as big as I can :hmm3grin2orange:

coachfraley
05-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone!

The thing I "forgot" to mention, was that my wife has me on a new tank lock down. I can't get another tank, and at least for now, I can't get a larger one. It's not that she doesn't love our tank, but she thinks we spend way too much $ on it...and it is hard to argue against that.

The smartest thing might be to just get a larger tank, and store/hide it until I can get my wife to change her mind:hmm3grin2orange: Then I could do what Ragey suggested, and sell my 31g setup.

Algenco
05-20-2009, 12:48 AM
I wouldn't, your not upgrading much. Have him build you a big fw tank!

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/iagree.gif

Red
05-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone!

The thing I "forgot" to mention, was that my wife has me on a new tank lock down. I can't get another tank, and at least for now, I can't get a larger one. It's not that she doesn't love our tank, but she thinks we spend way too much $ on it...and it is hard to argue against that.

The smartest thing might be to just get a larger tank, and store/hide it until I can get my wife to change her mind:hmm3grin2orange: Then I could do what Ragey suggested, and sell my 31g setup.

or set it up and make in look awesome and have two SW tanks, and if its all ready setup, she won't make you take it down!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Personally, I would do it. LOL I'm always a fan of moving to a larger water volume with SW tanks. 12 gallons is 12 gallons, that to put it in perspective, even though it doesn't look like much, you are actually looking at roughly a 33% increase in volume.

coachfraley
05-20-2009, 03:34 AM
Personally, I would do it. LOL I'm always a fan of moving to a larger water volume with SW tanks. 12 gallons is 12 gallons, that to put it in perspective, even though it doesn't look like much, you are actually looking at roughly a 33% increase in volume.

The other thing is, those extra gallons means one more fish, and 3-4 more corals :18:

I guess the first thing I need to do is find out exactly what the guy is willing to make for me. If he is willing to make me a big tank, I will probably take advantage. If not, I will just have him make the 32g.

Thanks again for the input everyone! thumbs2: