PDA

View Full Version : Java moss newbie - does it need to be anchored?

Fraoch
05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm considering getting some to out-compete algae and keep nitrates in check.

However I'm not sure if I want to anchor it to anything - can it be kept free-floating?

I thought I read this but I can't find references to it.

Thanks!

Northernguy
05-19-2009, 07:22 PM
You can tie it down with fishing line or elastics to rocks and driftwood!

Fraoch
05-19-2009, 07:28 PM
You can tie it down with fishing line or elastics to rocks and driftwood!

But does it need to be tied down? I'm not sure if I want this stuff anchored to my decorations.

rich311k
05-19-2009, 07:30 PM
You can let it float a round but it gets messy. Tie it to a rock, it will look good and not cover you decorations.

Wild Turkey
05-19-2009, 07:37 PM
It floats just fine, one of the best floating plants there is, looks beautiful, great for keeping fry safe too

No matter what you do with it, eventually pieces will get loose and spread if there is current. Its grows fast and spreads fast (which is good for your applications)

Fraoch
05-19-2009, 07:46 PM
So it kind of looks like my algae problem will be eventually replaced by a java moss problem.:hmm3grin2orange: LOL, it's easier to remove than algae, I think I'll give it a try.

troy
05-19-2009, 10:23 PM
My java moss never floats.

Algenco
05-19-2009, 10:26 PM
it will sink, if you have enough you can fill a tank:hmm3grin2orange:

Sarkazmo
05-20-2009, 05:12 AM
I absolutely LOVE my Java Moss!!!!! Here's a pic I just took showing Sancho the Betta, Chip and Whoosh the snails, my newly installed DIY CO2 system (a bubble every few seconds.) This Tetra 1.5G tank is filtered by LOTS of Java Moss, Marimo Ball, Pelia Moss, Dwarf Hair Grass, and a Marineland Penguin 100 bio wheel HOB. The HOB outputs into a DIY diffuser that holds a chunk of lava rock covered in Java Moss (all the moss is anchored to lava rock.) It's lit with a Lights of America 10w CFL. Broken terracotta pots provide lots of hiding nooks and crannies. I've got a lily bulb that's just starting to sprout and a couple other plant bulbs that don't seem to be doing anything... heh. I'm very proud of this little tank. :)

http://j4d7bw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p2LMHqS3e99UZ1YHhDp-AmBhHqqBwOiOn3SerzvIrZN12U3ebRAIUkjydapKNauWTWwao1 IqItW_9r_-UWe3XYnLlwQMynv1J/100_3912.jpg

Fraoch
05-20-2009, 01:01 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Java Moss!!!!! Here's a pic I just took showing Sancho the Betta, Chip and Whoosh the snails, my newly installed DIY CO2 system (a bubble every few seconds.) This Tetra 1.5G tank is filtered by LOTS of Java Moss, Marimo Ball, Pelia Moss, Dwarf Hair Grass, and a Marineland Penguin 100 bio wheel HOB. The HOB outputs into a DIY diffuser that holds a chunk of lava rock covered in Java Moss (all the moss is anchored to lava rock.) It's lit with a Lights of America 10w CFL. Broken terracotta pots provide lots of hiding nooks and crannies. I've got a lily bulb that's just starting to sprout and a couple other plant bulbs that don't seem to be doing anything... heh. I'm very proud of this little tank. :)

http://j4d7bw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p2LMHqS3e99UZ1YHhDp-AmBhHqqBwOiOn3SerzvIrZN12U3ebRAIUkjydapKNauWTWwao1 IqItW_9r_-UWe3XYnLlwQMynv1J/100_3912.jpg

That's a BEAUTIFUL tank, you should be proud! Wow!

Anyway they didn't have Java Moss at Big Al's yesterday, they had "Java Fern" and "Fancy Moss", both anchored to rocks and a bit more than I wanted to pay ($12-$25). They do get Java Moss in, they just didn't have any yesterday.