PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Ctenopoma

Goodbye
05-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Does anyone know if this fish would make a good canidate to be housed in a 20 Long? Im starting to venture into other possibilities that I could do with the 20 Long instead of a pair of rams.

I dont know much about this fish, but thought it looked aswome. I know that it is a predator, but have a plan that should provide a neverending supply of food. That plan would be to keep a group of 2 males and 3 females of either guppy, platy or one of the common livebearers. I will raise the fry until about 1/2 inch each and then use them as a food supply for the Leopard Ctenopoma. Is this a good plan?

Any information that people have about this fish is appreciated. Remember that I have not fully decided purchase this fish. Its just one of the many fish I am looking into.

Thanks,

Agassizii

Little Embers
05-19-2009, 07:50 AM
I have never kept them so can't really comment from experience, but here is one profile that may help and from what I have read, a 20 gall. would be too small and perhaps livebearers would not be a good match.

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=17568.msg189285

Sharon
05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I've got one in my 55gal....He's one of my favourites. He's in there with larger fish, except for Otos, and there have been no issues. However, when he opens his mouth to take food, it is surprising how big the mouth is. They suck the food in, and can take quite large food offerings. I don't think Guppies or any smaller fish would be a good choice.

Goodbye
05-19-2009, 01:56 PM
It seems that I may have not made it sond clear on what the livebearers are for. I am going to have them in a sepearte tank for breeding. The fry are going to be used as a live food choice.

But if the 20L is to small then I guess this fish would not be a good choice anyway. So time to look into antoher species of fish for my 20L. Thanks for the replies!

Northernguy
05-19-2009, 02:09 PM
A 20 is usually to small for most predators!:22:

Sharon
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I was thinking 20gal would be iffy...20l is definitely too small....

Northernguy
05-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I think he meant 20 long not litres.
It does get confusing at times!:22:

Goodbye
05-19-2009, 02:28 PM
I think he meant 20 long not litres.
It does get confusing at times!:22:

Yes, I did mean 20 Long. I have decided to look into a different fish for this tank since Leopard Ctenopoma get to large for a 20 Long.

Northernguy
05-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes, I did mean 20 Long. I have decided to look into a different fish for this tank since Leopard Ctenopoma get to large for a 20 Long.
Any thoughts about what fish?

Just a tip. Feeding live everyday is not a good idea,even if you have a pirahna or an oscar.There is not enough nutritional value in live and they really make a mess of the tank.
Hikari or NLS pellets are much better and keep a tank much cleaner.

rich311k
05-19-2009, 02:36 PM
What about one of the half beak varieties, they would fit and are quite the predators.

Goodbye
05-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Any thoughts about what fish?

Just a tip. Feeding live everyday is not a good idea,even if you have a pirahna or an oscar.There is not enough nutritional value in live and they really make a mess of the tank.
Hikari or NLS pellets are much better and keep a tank much cleaner.

One of the other thoughts is to get about 4 brichardi for the 20 Long. Would this be a good idea?

Another thought is getting around 6 shelldwellers and turning the tank into a shelldweller species tank. The only problem with those is I think they are not cheap at my LFS.

Goodbye
05-19-2009, 02:37 PM
What about one of the half beak varieties, they would fit and are quite the predators.

hmm...I will have to look into these. Thanks for the suggestion.

Northernguy
05-19-2009, 03:07 PM
I think a 20 long would make a great community tank.
I wouldn't get predator fish unless you had at least a 55 to start.IMO

f.lanzarone
05-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Leopard ctenopomas arw great fish I highly reccomend them, I have two in a 29 and they are living just fine, I also try to avoid live food, I use it as a treat and feed them shrimp pellets or bloodworms. I used to have two older ctenopomas and I fed them sick rosies and that was it, so I avoid it now

Northernguy
05-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Everything I have read for that fish describes a 50gal as the minimum size tank.
I cannot find the ACs profile but here is another reliable source.
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=17568.new
f.lanzarone how big are yours now?
How long have you had them?

Sharon
05-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I've read the same, NG. I think if there are tankmates, more room would be needed. These fish move slowly...I THINK one could go in a 20gal long tank. I'm not absolutely certain, though. They are known to attack and kill each other as well, so in a tank that size, I would go with one....

troy
05-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Only the smaller species would do and they really aren't that predatory IME. They might eat small fry but don't even bother guppies.

Owlbehere
05-19-2009, 11:19 PM
I have one... Photos in other posts and my journal. Id say 30g minimum. And to me thats pushing it. Since I have moved mine to his 45 with his barb friends he has grown like a weed. He is about 4" now and still growing. When kept well they can reach 6".

Goodbye
05-20-2009, 01:35 AM
I have decided that I will not go with a predator. I will use the 20 Long as a community tank. I am unsure if I have it planted or if I will have it set up as Brichardi like it.

Since I wont be home over Memorial Day weekend, I will go over my books while I am away and create a list of fish that I would like to keep and then eliminate them according certain factors like size, diet, and that sort of thing.
Then eventually I will have a few fish left and decide what to do from there.

LCGRAHAM
06-08-2009, 07:21 AM
I've kept Spotted Leopard ctenopomas (Ctenopoma acutirostre ) for several years in a 50 gal tank. My present pair are about eight years old. They have always been a little skiddish, preferring to remain hidden in the foliage or driftwood caves I've created.