PDA

View Full Version : argh FLATWORMS!

Miltonic
05-18-2009, 06:54 PM
A few weeks ago I noticed this weird looking flat things crawling on a rock and since i had already read about them, i immediately identified them as flatworms. I have been kind of ignoring them, sucking some with each water change but they are multiplying. I know the chemical treatment (flatworm exit) for it but I just don't want to start putting chemicals in my tank and will use it only as last resort. First i want to try the natural ways to get rid of them but since there's a couple of natural ways to get rid of them, im having a hard time deciding which one to use. The natural methods are a blue velvet nudibranch, mandarins, six-line wrasse and there's another type of wrasse that eats them but don't remember the name. I was wondering what you guys would do or recommend doing to get rid of this problem.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Were you originally planning on adding a Sixline Wrasse to the tank? If so, I'd go that route, but understand, there is no 100% guarantee that the Sixline will solve the issue.

Miltonic
05-18-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't think want it anymore since there are many other awesome wrasse to choose from and the six-line can become aggressive and i would like to add a few more peaceful fish first but thats going to take months and the will be millions of those worms by then. :s

unleashed
05-18-2009, 08:33 PM
unfortunately the only sure fire way to get rid of them is flat worm exit.

You will also have a hard time tracking down that nudibranch and when it eats all the flatworms, what are you planning to do with it?

tim k
05-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Yep from what I have read Flat Worm X works really well.
Just follow the directions and make sure to run carbon when done.
Flat Worms are highly toxic and when they die they release it into the water.

Good luck

Tim

oldhead
05-18-2009, 10:36 PM
My vote is for the 6 line, mine is awesome. Nudi's are too slow and I don't like the idea of adding chemical ingredients either. Good luck whichever you choose though.

Miltonic
05-18-2009, 10:42 PM
That's the reason I don't want to use flatworm exit, having to deal with sucking them while they die and not having a spot to place large amount of carbon. I'm leaning towards the mandarin or the nudibranch to get rid of them

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Your tank is far far too young for a Mandarin, not a good choice at all. Since the Nudibranch will only eat the flatworms, it will starve after they are gone, and those will pollute your tank worse. I would personally go with the Flatworm X.

Miltonic
05-19-2009, 12:47 AM
The safest bet is a wrasse right now then and on a funny note i saw my clownfish eating one the other day. This is the wrasse (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+386&pcatid=386)I decided to get for my flatworm problems

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Great little fish. The president of my reef club has one and it is a great fish. Very peaceful fish. Good choice.

Miltonic
05-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Im glad I found it, I love that its bright yellow my favorite color :D