PDA

View Full Version : How do you sex Odessa barbs

Owlbehere
05-17-2009, 08:34 PM
I can post pictures if I must but it is really hard to photograph them. I have two Odessa barb in my tank and since I added a new ornament they have been coming out more. One is chasing the other, not mean just sticking close to the other. They both have red stripes but the one following has developed a blood red stripe and its back is turning black. The one leading is more silver with a lighter red stripe. Do I have a male and female or dominant male submissive male?

jaysee
05-20-2009, 02:39 PM
The females have a silvery body with a pinkish hue and a faint pink stripe along their lateral line. Their caudal fin is that same color of pink with a large dark olive splotch. They also have black blotches near the caudal peduncle and pectoral fin.

The males are blackish-silver (with liberal amounts of a yellowish-green to boot) and have a thick bright red stripe along the lateral line (extending from the head to the tail). That same yellowish-green appears on the dorsal fin. An iridescent bluish-gray appears on the fins on the lower portion of the body.

To really see them in breeding color, you'll need a group rather than 2. Sounds like you might have a male/female, though. Get another male and a few more females and you'll really see some colors.

Owlbehere
05-21-2009, 02:17 AM
Its just so hard to pick what is what at the store.

jaysee
05-22-2009, 05:52 AM
If you use a quarantine tank, you could get some and throw them in there. They'll color up and you can keep the ones you want and return the others.