PDA

View Full Version : Betta question(s)!

emilyekk
05-16-2009, 09:03 PM
I went to the store today to get another aquarium. Well, I ended up getting a 5 gallon hex with gravel and a silk plant and against what I originally had planned to do - I left with a betta.

Now - I know all about cycling and that I should have waited but he was so pretty and looked so miserable in that like ounce of water... and I ended up buying him.

So this is my question:

I have my tank set up and beginning to cycle now.
I have the filter running and I've added the aquaclear and some start right. I plan on adding some active gravel from my functioning 10 gallon tonight as well as some of the water from that tank.

I have the betta currently in a really large like brandy glass. It's a little bigger than a brandy glass. I'm of course not planning to leave him in there forever and it is about 30x the size he came in so I guess I am asking if its okay to leave him in basically a large goldfish bowl for a week until the tank is good enough to put him in?

Should I gradually add water from my active tank to his little bowl?

Comments are appreciated - I swear I am never this impulsive but I just fell in love and I didn't want someone to buy him who was going to stick him in a wall vase or something! lol.

Northernguy
05-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Change the water daily if you can.Just match the temp and dechlorinate.
Tetra Safe Start or Stress zyhme are the better bacteria boosters.

Kaz
05-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Bettas are very hardy, I'd just add it to the 5 gallon.

I'd also listen to everything Northernguy says. Unless he told me to like dance on my head or something like that.

emilyekk
05-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Bettas are very hardy, I'd just add it to the 5 gallon.

I'd also listen to everything Northernguy says. Unless he told me to like dance on my head or something like that.

I should let it cycle for a bit though right? Or should I add it as early as late tonight?

Kaz
05-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Basically you'd be doing a cycle with fish.

Northernguy
05-16-2009, 09:36 PM
How are you cycling the ten gal.?
What have you added to the new beta tank to help cycle it?
The gravel won't really help the cycle if it is not from a very established tank.

emilyekk
05-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Basically you'd be doing a cycle with fish.

Hmm alright, and this is better to do than just leaving it in a unfiltered bowl until the big tank is done filtering right?

emilyekk
05-16-2009, 09:37 PM
How are you cycling the ten gal.?
What have you added to the new beta tank to help cycle it?
The gravel won't really help the cycle if it is not from a very established tank.

The 10 gallon has been running for a few months. Is that established enough or should I not bother adding the gravel?

(I originally cycled the 10 gallon properly btw, lol... BEFORE getting fish.)

invadertoast
05-16-2009, 09:46 PM
I'd just add the betta to the 5 gallon along with some of your established gravel, just watch your parameters and make sure they're in the safe range. Bettas are tough fish and he should be fine as long as you watch your levels. Congrats!

Northernguy
05-16-2009, 09:57 PM
What have done to cycle the tank besides letting it run.
What have you added to the water to cycle it?
Have you been adding ammonia source or do you have fish in the ten?
If you have just added water and let it run then your tank is nowhere near cycled.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640

emilyekk
05-16-2009, 10:09 PM
What have done to cycle the tank besides letting it run.
What have you added to the water to cycle it?
Have you been adding ammonia source or do you have fish in the ten?
If you have just added water and let it run then your tank is nowhere near cycled.

I'm not sure you're following me...

The 10 gallon cycled for 2 weeks. I got active gravel from a tank at my lfs, added start right and aquaclear and let that cycle for 2 weeks before adding any fish.

All of my levels were perfect and that's when I added the fish.

So far that tank has run well.

Now, the 5 gallon I just got. The only things added to that so far is the aquaclear and start right liquids.

I know I was impulsive with buying the betta and normally I would not have bought a fish the same day as purchasing the tank but I am lame and impulsive and I did.

Sooooo, is the 10 gallon not established enough to use the gravel still or? I know it is completely cycled, but the 5 gallon is no where near that.

I usually never use fish to cycle the tank but I am wondering if that would be better or if just leaving him in the water he came in (in a bigger bowl) would be better?

Marty
05-17-2009, 12:10 AM
you could take out some of the gravel and a part of the filter pad from your 10g and use that in your 5g to cycle it quicker.
We didnt use our betta to cycle the tank as they are very prone to tumors and infections, and if he gets a cut in the tank he will be infected quickly and IMO your pretty fish will be dead!

If it was me, I would keep him in your bowl that he came with temperarily, and do a 50% water change every 2 days. You can keep him in there without a filter or a heater (if he is placed near a window for the sun to heat the bowl) - When your 5g is cycled (depending on how you want to do it) then add him. I think he would be a healthier Betta because of that.

Sharon
05-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Put him in the 5gal tank, with some of the gravel from the 10gal. I'd suggest "stealing" some media from the 10gal, but it may not be stable enough. Keep an eye on the water parameters and do the necessary water changes. He'll be fine. :ssmile:

emilyekk
05-17-2009, 01:49 AM
Everyone has been soooo helpful. I really really appreciate everyones advice!

thrakuarium
05-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Yes I agree , go ahead and put him in the 5 gal tank. I did it with mine for a couple reasons even though it was a new tank. Anything is better than the small container he was in, and with a heated and filtered 5 gallon tank he would be perfectly fine. The bioload on one betta is tiny, don't overfeed him. That way you keep the food spoilage down. Stretch that first filter as far as you can for the bacteria growth, and dose the bacteria boosters daily for a week and redose after every water change after that. I did just that with my halfmoon and he is perfectly fine. Just don't put any new friends in with him until his tank can handle the additional bioload. Good Luck thumbs2:

Northernguy
05-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Yes I was .Sorry about that. I didn't see your post.
I have no idea how that happened!:hmm3grin2orange: It may have been here or somewhere in between.
lol I do agree with the info given though!

emilyekk
05-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Yes I was .Sorry about that. I didn't see your post.
I have no idea how that happened!:hmm3grin2orange: It may have been here or somewhere in between.
lol I do agree with the info given though!

oh, its totally okay! I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was a total idiot by thinking I was running two uncycled tanks, lol.

Just the 5 is uncycled.

I think I am going to use a little of everyones advice. I am going to let the tank cycle overnight at least, then tomorrow afternoon if my water levels are decent - I'll add him to the 5 gallon. I was hesitant to add him tonight because I was moving gravel all around and resituating the silk plants so the water got really cloudy.

Hopefully tomorrow it will clear up though - it's already gotten a lot better.

I also added a small bubble stone. I know bettas prefer still water, but I figured it would help with the airation. Is this okay?

Northernguy
05-17-2009, 03:53 AM
If you are adding used media to a filter do not wait to long.It dies off in about 12hrs or less without a fish to produce ammonia.
That smallof a tank should clear up soon if it has a filter running.

emilyekk
05-17-2009, 03:58 AM
If you are adding used media to a filter do not wait to long.It dies off in about 12hrs or less without a fish to produce ammonia.
That smallof a tank should clear up soon if it has a filter running.

okay sounds good!

oh I had one more question if anyone can help.

I bought the 5 gallon hex tank from walmart. It came with a filter with a bio wheel and NO instructions. I am 90% sure I set it up right but I am still a novice at this so here's the question.

I don't know for sure if I installed the actually filter cartridge the correct way. It's not a hob filter, it lays down in the lid of the tank and then it like drains into the bio wheel or something. Was I supposed to lay this in the opening for the filter with the carbon filter side facing up or down?
Right now I have the carbon filter side facing down and the black plastic vented side facing up (level with the ceiling).

I hope this is right but have no idea, lol.

Northernguy
05-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Sorry I have never had a bio-wheel filter.
I'm sure someone else here does though!

thrakuarium
05-17-2009, 11:29 AM
On a biowheel the filtered side is face up and the black plastic side is face down. My eclipse 3 is a 3 gallon biowheel setup for my female crowntail. That means the blue fuzzy side is what you see when you open the door. The water has to rise thru the floss to get over the lip into the chamber with the biowheel in it before going back into the tank.