PDA

View Full Version : Floating Plants for a 10g tank

robflanker
05-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Looking for suggestions for some floating plants. I just swapped out the bulbs of my 10g hood which were 30W total for a two new ones which have a total of 80W. So a lot brighter!

I have a tank of tetras right now (currently treating for ich), and i plan on adding pygmy corys and a dwarf gourami. I've noticed the tetras hanging out a bit more in the fake plants (all plants in tank are fake) now with the new lights.

I know corys like a bit of shade so I am trying to find some good floating plants to just add a bit of shade as opposed to darkening the whole place.

Link to pictures in the signature, and thanks in advance!

Oh and ive never done planted before

Northernguy
05-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Try some Java moss! If it likes your tank you will be thinning it out weekly!My fry and fish love it!

robflanker
05-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Try some Java moss! If it likes your tank you will be thinning it out weekly!My fry and fish love it!

Java moss is a substrate-level plant? How long will it take to grow up enough to give the corys/tetras a place to hide?

Also can I add while i'm battling ich or is it best not to? I've just got some time on my hands and my drive around and try and find some at the LFS

DrNic
05-16-2009, 08:32 PM
I would go with a mix of different plants.

Java moss on the substrate can be nice as long as you keep it trimmed.

To keep some shade in the tank you can try apons or dwarf lillies. They will block out light at the top via their leaves but not be messy to take care of (like duckweed).

You'll probably want some dense growth plants to. Java ferns (particularly narrow leaf) makes a good hiding spot. Wisteria is also great and fast growing. If you can find them large red crypts are nice as well.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you come up with.

Kaz
05-16-2009, 08:35 PM
It is possible to float java moss.

robflanker
05-16-2009, 08:43 PM
hmm thanks guys for the recommendations.

i'm leaning towards doing watersprite on the surface after Nic's suggestions. I had a quick troll of the web and skim read the article and it sounds like its a good fit for what I want.

I think ill also introduce some java moss and a java fern to add a bit more cover on the bottom too, and strip out some of the fake plants and maybe the cavey thing i got going on. Or ill tie the moss to the cavey thing.

I just called the LFS and they said they'll get java moss in on Mondays.

Are there any concerns with medicating the water and plants? Shall I wait or can I go ahead?

DrNic
05-16-2009, 08:43 PM
It is possible to float java moss.
Really? Mine always just sinks to the bottom

gm72
05-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Dwarf Water Lettuce. I have a ton if you want some.

robflanker
05-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Dwarf Water Lettuce. I have a ton if you want some.

I could be - I don't know anything about it. Is it a good fit do you think?

Wild Turkey
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Mosses make great floating plants, but pretty much anything that can grow without being rooted does fine. I have dwarf rotala in a ten gal with stock light and its growing on the top of the water right now, ive just been throwing clipping in there. The tank is completely bare, no ferts no stock nothing

robflanker
05-16-2009, 10:51 PM
I have dwarf rotala in a ten gal with stock light and its growing on the top of the water right now, ive just been throwing clipping in there. The tank is completely bare, no ferts no stock nothing

The article says its hard to find and difficult to keep - should I be avoiding it seen as im a plant newbie?

gm72
05-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Truly depends on the water conditions. I personally have ridiculously soft water and so have trouble keeping plants that want more hard water conditions. Your mileage may vary.

Wild Turkey
05-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Truly depends on the water conditions. I personally have ridiculously soft water and so have trouble keeping plants that want more hard water conditions. Your mileage may vary.

Absolutely. Well saidthumbs2:

Never hurts to try it, but i was just using it as an example. For me, it certainly is no expert care level plant as you can see. Of course, i have trouble growing other stuff some people may not, as is usually case.

Last i checked hobbs was having trouble growing Java moss, but she has beautiful planted tanks, so go figure.

My point is that you can take pretty much any plant that is growing well for you and grow it on the top of the water, unless its a heavy root feeder or something that needs to be attached to something.

robflanker
05-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Hmm ok thanks everyone. time for me to do some research and decision making

DrNic
05-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Dwarf rotala can be really hit or miss. I've had GREAT luck with it as a background plant in one of my tanks. While at the same time I hear stories of it not doing well at all. From my experience it's one of those plants that requires a good bit of light as well as a rather high level of organic material in the water. Frequent water changes can easily kill it if you're not careful.

Hope things go well with your tank. If you want to try some dwarf rotala drop me a PM I'll have some available in another week or so.

robflanker
05-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Just been reading Taurus's journal.

Does Java Fern burn? If so, under what conditions? If what ive read is right, ill have a burning problem

Kaz
05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Glad to see your going to try planted.

I hope you replace that really fake plant.:hmm3grin2orange:

In rage

(You never responded to my PM, Rob!)

Northernguy
05-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Its hornswort that I have.Its really thick and the fish love it.
It works great for fry! lol I have had a guppy explosion in my tank!:hmm3grin2orange:

robflanker
05-17-2009, 08:26 PM
NG - i thought you said you java moss, is it really hornwart?