PDA

View Full Version : Snail air space

MrJim
05-16-2009, 01:15 AM
I read that there should be a 2" space between the lid of tank and water line to allow for air for snails to get. Is this good advice? It's just that the water line that low the tank is noiser than before; I'm fine with it, just wondering if it is right.

How often do snails go up for air-seems I hardly ever seem them that high on the glass though maybe they travel at night~I didn't expect snails to be so interesting, they never seem to be in one spot for long.

Algenco
05-16-2009, 01:29 AM
That's to allow the mystery snails to lay eggs, they place them above the waterline

MrJim
05-16-2009, 01:29 AM
So it's not for air at all?

Algenco
05-16-2009, 01:32 AM
not that I know of, that would be the only reason they would want to leave the water that I can think of

MrJim
05-16-2009, 01:36 AM
OK so I'm hearing you say I shouldn't have to adjust my water level for snails~~I have two hoping they are the same gender..not looking for babies.

Do snails then get oxygen through the water like fish, or do they go get and store it?

Algenco
05-16-2009, 01:39 AM
mine stay under water for hours, I assume they absorb O2 from the water

MrJim
05-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Well adapted
Apple snails are exceptionally well adapted to tropical regions with periods of drought alternated with periods of excessive rainfall. This adaptation is reflected in their life style: moderately amphibious and being equipped with a shell door enabling the snail to close its shell (to prevent drying out while hiding in the mud during dry periods).
A typical adaptation of apple snails is the combination of a branchial respiration system comparable with the gills of a fish (at the right side of the snail body) and a lung (at the left side of the body). This lung/gill combination expands the action radius of the snail in search for food.

http://www.applesnail.net/

How cool is that?thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
05-16-2009, 02:26 AM
Yes, you want some space at the top, its stresses them out if its not there, they come out of the water to lay eggs, so they need some space.

They have a gill and a lung, usually they only use the lung (and siphon) if there is not enough o2 in the water, or if they are having trouble getting food down.

Heres some info on their care:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=38661&highlight=mystery+snail+care

DrNic
05-16-2009, 03:41 AM
I've heard of this before.

If you want snails keeping the water level down can help a bit.

On the other hand, those of us who don't want snails, and keep our water up to the top of the tank don't usually notice a difference.

Wild Turkey
05-16-2009, 03:51 AM
IMO Theres no reason to stress out the snails by raisng the water level in order to not get any offspring, simply remove the eggs with a razorblade in the first week or two of being laid (before they hatch)

If the snails arent breeding and the temp isnt very low, it may be a sign something is wrong.

Often times if raise the you water level the snails will attempt to leave the tank to lay eggs and get lost, or lay the eggs on the underside of the hood where you cant see them, and that will result in about 50 to several hundred babies. They will often still try, its just more stressful and in some cases fatal

MrJim
05-16-2009, 02:19 PM
WT makes sense here, the noise isn't really a problem. I guess the guppies would eat snail eggs?

Sort of another snail question: Why do they burrow into the gravel?

Wild Turkey
05-16-2009, 02:21 PM
WT makes sense here, the noise isn't really a problem. I guess the guppies would eat snail eggs?

Sort of another snail question: Why do they burrow into the gravel?

They will only lay the eggs above the water line so the guppies wont be able to eat them, but if some casings drop in yes they will be eaten quickly by both the fish and snails.

When they dig into the substrate they are usually trying to get at some food particles.

You can reduce the trickle noise by using the soda bottle trick and pull it tight to the back of the tank if need be

MrJim
05-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes, you want some space at the top, its stresses them out if its not there, they come out of the water to lay eggs, so they need some space.

They have a gill and a lung, usually they only use the lung (and siphon) if there is not enough o2 in the water, or if they are having trouble getting food down.

Heres some info on their care:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=38661&highlight=mystery+snail+care

Very helpful article~answers my questions! It ought to be over in the AC Invertebrate Article section.thumbs2:

MrJim
05-16-2009, 02:26 PM
They will only lay the eggs above the water line so the guppies wont be able to eat them, but if some casings drop in yes they will be eaten quickly by both the fish and snails.

When they dig into the substrate they are usually trying to get at some food particles.

You can reduce the trickle noise by using the soda bottle trick and pull it tight to the back of the tank if need be

Yeah, I have the soda bottle on my other, would work here too.

Snails are some tough critters moving that gravel like they do; as I said before they are far more interesting than I ever expected they would be.

Wild Turkey
05-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Snails are some tough critters moving that gravel like they do; as I said before they are far more interesting than I ever expected they would be.
I agree! I love invertsthumbs2:

Very helpful article~answers my questions! It ought to be over in the AC Invertebrate Article section.thumbs2:

Thank you, I will see about getting it stickied since so many people buy mysteries and care info isnt always easy to find.