PDA

View Full Version : Fantails with comets in a large pond?

smaug
05-16-2009, 01:05 AM
I made a BIG mistake tonight.We went and bought 4 fantail fancy goldys.They were beautiful.So,I bring them home and stock them.The comets wont leave them alone,theylook like they are being used to play soccer with.One was chased into the skimmer [recued] and I cant find the 4th.I tried to catch them but they run to the deep part and it got dark before I could devise a better plan.These suckers were 9 bucks each and they are being kicked the crap out of.Not biting or nipping but simply chased and battered.I cant imagine they will live through the night.These little fellas are about 2",the comets doing the whipping are almost 8" ,the koi are staying out of the fray at the moment,thats good because they are mostly over a foot.Im gonna post this in the coldwater section.I suppose this is just breeding behaviour directed toward the wrong party?They are also chasing each other [comets].my daughter wanted a koi,should have got her the koi.Has anyone else experianced this?

Algenco
05-16-2009, 01:38 AM
that what I'm thinking, the fantails are chunky, the comets probably think they're full of eggs:1luvu:

smaug
05-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Of all the bad times to try this,I never thought for a moment this would happen.Poor little buggers are gonna be loved to death(blush)

saix88
05-16-2009, 03:11 AM
that what I'm thinking, the fantails are chunky, the comets probably think they're full of eggs:1luvu:

Females release a hormone to let a male know she has eggs.

Do your comets have breeding stars? They might just be territorial and don't like a new introduction of fish. If they are doing it to each other I'm assuming it's breeding behavior since cold to warm weather is what does that to them.

Get the fantails out or they will die.

Northernguy
05-16-2009, 03:14 AM
I'm sure he is trying.Its a fair sized pond!
Sorry to hear it smaug!

smaug
05-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Alrighty then ,what we had yesterday was a big ole case of curious what you are syndrome from the comets.I came home from work today at noon expecting to find 4 dead goldys,what I found were 4 very happy goldys eagerly awaiting feeding time.On faith on the way home I stopped and got some small nugget goldfish food just in case I couldnt catch them and so I could feed them.I fed both big koi food and the little stuff and everyone at happily.No chasing don butting everybodys fine.Im glad I couldnt get them out last night as they are doing fine.Thank you all for your help,,,,,especially you saix for your info on the breeding star:ssmile:
PS,As NG stated it is a 2300 gal pond getting the little buggers out with out 2 people and a 2 pole net is not gonna happin.