PDA

View Full Version : pond setups

ndntakeover
05-15-2009, 11:22 PM
just thinking about digging up a pond in my backyard.

I have no idea. so im starting my research here.

what is the minimum size for one?
Just any advice or tidbit of info is appreciated.

I want to find out whether this is a project that i am able to take financially as well as practically.

Northernguy
05-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Have you thought about installing a store bought unit until you get the hang of it and expand later.Its a fast start to getting a pond up and running.
Just a thought!
I know when I build a pond its going to be hard not making it deep enough to swim in!:hmm3grin2orange:

DrNic
05-18-2009, 02:11 AM
I have been thinking about putting a pond in late this year or early next year. from what I've been told as a first pond you pretty much have 2 options.
1) If you REALLY want a large pond, find someone to help you out so you know the ins and outs
2) Start with a small store bought, precast unit. These will give you some experience and you can expand later.

There are just a lot of pitfalls with ponds that can end up being a cash sinkhole if you're not careful.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

tetra_danio_girl
05-27-2009, 10:12 PM
I have been thinking about putting a pond in late this year or early next year. from what I've been told as a first pond you pretty much have 2 options.
1) If you REALLY want a large pond, find someone to help you out so you know the ins and outs
2) Start with a small store bought, precast unit. These will give you some experience and you can expand later.

There are just a lot of pitfalls with ponds that can end up being a cash sinkhole if you're not careful.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I helped a friend set up a pond, and it was a TON of work, and ended up costing about double what she thought it would cost.

The pre-made ones are really very nice. There's a lot you don't have to worry about with them, and you don't generally have to check with DNR and local regulations regarding stocking.

I don't know about where you live, but in Minnesota, there are rules about non-native species that could contaminate the other lakes and streams if you live close to one of them, or dig near the water table.

Pre-made ponds are also nice for the winter 'cause you can get heaters for them that will allow the fish to hibernate, but not freeze. :D

I honestly don't know about what is available for in-the-ground ponds, or about pouring concrete, or any of that stuff.

I just know that setting up the pre-fab pond was not much trouble (it was getting it up and running that cost her a bit more than she'd expected.)

smaug
05-27-2009, 10:43 PM
first,read this thread.I took pictures and gave blow by blow the whole way through the making of a 2000 plus gal koi pond.Next.For your first project a small pre cast unit under 200 gal will get your feet wet and let you know if you are a pond person or not.They are a good bit of upkeep,if you wish to have a nice one with fish.third,stay away from koi at first.they get huge and need a big pond unless you really want to chew your nails over upkeep.Get fancy goldys or comets,they are much easier and cheaper.If you have any questions please feel free,I have been a pond boy for quite some time and would love to help you make up your mind.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=524268#post524268

tetra_danio_girl
05-27-2009, 10:46 PM
third,stay away from koi at first.they get huge and need a big pond unless you really want to chew your nails over upkeep.Get fancy goldys or comets,they are much easier and cheaper.[/url]

My friend, Krista, actually got feeder fish. :P

Cheap, decorative carp. They grew to be around 9" or bigger and looked really nice. :D

Although she did have to clean the thing a lot.

smaug
05-27-2009, 10:55 PM
The "feeder"fish are actually comets or just standard goldfish.Koi are carp,just look for barbels ,goldys dont have them.

tetra_danio_girl
05-27-2009, 10:56 PM
The "feeder"fish are actually comets or just standard goldfish.Koi are carp,just look for barbels ,goldys dont have them.

OOH! good to know.

Yeah, I stick with the under 3" if at all possible. My mother was the goldfish person.