PDA

View Full Version : To Betta or Not to Betta...

Marty
05-15-2009, 07:43 PM
.. that is the question..

Our 10g right now, is a pirate themed tank, and we have 2 glowlight tetra's and 3 cardinal tetra's, and a tiny CAE. They are the survivors of a bacterial infection that wiped the tank out and killed our last betta. (tank is clean now, and has been infection free for about a month, tank has re-cycled now)

Mrs and I are deliberating what to do, as there is a nice looking Betta at our LFS which is a really deep dark blue colour, all over from body to tail. But I want more cardinals.

How many more cardinals do you think I could add to our 10g And add the betta?

When we had our first betta, he was in this 10g with 5 glowlights and 2 zebra's and the CAE and just loved it.
Me is Torn :confused:

emilyekk
05-15-2009, 07:45 PM
I had always heard that tetra's were bad tankmates for the betta because they were really big fin nippers.

I wonder if this is true though - - - I think tetra's and a betta would look awesome together. =)

robflanker
I'd say 10 probably

Northernguy
Go for it!
Save a beta!!!!:19:
You could easily add up to 8 cardinals to the tank.Make sure you do your weekly maintenance and you should have no probs.The tricky part is finding an easy going beta!

Marty
05-15-2009, 07:49 PM
I had always heard that tetra's were bad tankmates for the betta because they were really big fin nippers.

I wonder if this is true though - - - I think tetra's and a betta would look awesome together. =)

In my experience, the small tetra's (glowlight and cardinals) go great, as they stay out of his way as the Betta is bigger.
Our last Betta (Dixie) would play tag with the glowlights.. he would nudge them and swim off, they would follow and nudge back.. they would do that for hours. Dixie would also protect the glowlights when the zebra's decided to pick a fight.. it was funny.
We have a pirate ship there and Dixie was so protective over it, even with the glowlights, but all he would do is flare up.

The bigger tetra's would be the problem IMO.

Marty
05-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Go for it!
Save a beta!!!!:19:
You could easily add up to 8 cardinals to the tank.Make sure you do your weekly maintenance and you should have no probs.The tricky part is finding an easy going beta!
Yea, we got lucky with our last one.
This dark blue one (to be Dixie II) looks really placid. He sit on the shelf with the rest of them as all LFSs do, and while the others flare up, he seems to not really care. Of course, this could also mean he is dead.. hahaha.

Northernguy
05-15-2009, 07:57 PM
I have had a beta in with neons and an apple snail for over a year and have never had a prob.They seem to get along great.They even swim the center of the tank together every feeding.
Betas like to greet you when you walk in the room.When you are checking them out watch to see if any are willing to greet you.Thats what I did and may have got lucky.

fishlover49
05-15-2009, 08:05 PM
I would just make sure to add the Betta to the tank last. The Betta I have is so territorial that anything I would put in his tank, he would kill. I put a new little frog ornament in there for him and he just kept attacking it. That is "his" tank and he rules! He even flares at his heater. :ssuprised: :hmm3grin2orange: