PDA

View Full Version : How much nitrate

Scuba Guy
03-03-2007, 04:56 PM
How much nitrate (from the reduction of ammonia) do you think that 10 medium sized angels produce? (in a 65 gallon aquarium).

I am asking because my nitrate level in a heavily planted tank (lights + CO2) never seems to drop below 10 ppm. I don't have to add any nitrate. The plants are green and growing and I am wondering if the angels are producing all of the nitrogen the plants need ??

I do feed the angels heavily (blood worms, high protein = lots of urea?)

Seems odd that the plants are not taking up all of the nitrate like they use to....

Chrona
03-03-2007, 04:58 PM
How much nitrate (from the reduction of ammonia) do you think that 10 medium sized angels produce? (in a 65 gallon aquarium).

I am asking because my nitrate level in a heavily planted tank (lights + CO2) never seems to drop below 10 ppm. I don't have to add any nitrate. The plants are green and growing and I am wondering if the angels are producing all of the nitrogen the plants need ??

I do feed the angels heavily (blood worms, high protein = lots of urea?)

Seems odd that the plants are not taking up all of the nitrate like they use to....

5-10 ppm is enough nitrate for plants to grow well without having too much nutrients that can lead to algae, so if you are at 10ppm, then all the better, since you won't have to dose it :)