PDA

View Full Version : Pleco's eating Tetras?

sawyer216
05-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I have a 30 gal. tropical tank with 1 dwarf gourami, 1 betta, 1 pleco, and 2 cory cats. I bought 10 neon tetras two weeks ago to add to the community, but now I only have 5. Slowly these guys are disappearing, and leaving no evidence of their existence. I have found no dead fish, and the only option I can think of is the Pleco is eating them. Any ideas? Would a pleco eat neon tetras?

All water params. are spot on.

Gayle
05-15-2009, 11:39 AM
No. The pleco would not eat the Tetras. Some of the other fish may pick at the dead ones. What are the fish acting like?

See if this sounds like the issue
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/neon.php

Kaz
05-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Maybe the gourami?

Gayle
05-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Gouramis can be really nasty at times, and yes can kill other fish. But they do not eat them. They will eat fry, not full grown fish.

rich311k
05-15-2009, 12:39 PM
None of those fish would eat a living neon, it is probably a poor quality batch of neons. Once they die those little bodies dissappear quickly.

sawyer216
05-15-2009, 12:48 PM
No. The pleco would not eat the Tetras. Some of the other fish may pick at the dead ones. What are the fish acting like?

See if this sounds like the issue
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/neon.php
I think it could be the Neon Disease. I noticed one of them looked like it had a lump in it's belly the other day, and that fish is one of the fish that is gone.
Should I get rid of the other five neons that I have? If they do have Neon Disease and some of the other fish have eaten the dead bodies, does that mean my other fish can or will get this disease also?

Gayle
05-15-2009, 12:58 PM
I would probably move them to a QT tank,and keep an eye on them. It may have been Neon Disease, or it could have been something else. I would just watch and see what happens. There really is nothing you can do for them if they do have it. The other fish can get it yes.

Gayle
05-15-2009, 01:15 PM
I do not know very much about Tetras. If someone will move this thread to the Tetras, you will get much more help!!

Wild Turkey
05-15-2009, 01:35 PM
I doubt its NTD, there are a lot more symptoms associated with it than a round belly, which can be indicative of anything including being swollen with eggs or having just eaten, possibly a little bit of bloat etc etc

What are your water parameters?

How new are the neons?