PDA

View Full Version : What size tank do you recommend for a male betta?

emilyekk
05-15-2009, 06:08 AM
I already have a 10 gallon, which I had initially wanted to put the betta in.

Well I was talked into not getting a betta and my 10 gallon is now fully stocked with non betta friendly fishies.

However, I am finding myself STILL wanting to bring a betta home EVERY single time I walk into the fish store.

I know they need a filter and all that, but what is the smallest tank I could get away with and still have a happy betta?

The only problem is that I share a house with my boyfriend and his best friend and we don't have a 10 of space. (bf about fainted when I brought home a little 10 gallon, lol). I kind of need it to be small enough to fit in the bedroom but I'm obviously not going to keep it in a "betta holder" or any of that crap that tries to pass it off as a tank.

Would I *HAVE* to get something as large as a 5 gallon?

I really want a freaking betta, lol. :(

MCHRKiller
05-15-2009, 06:21 AM
IMO, 2.5gallon tanks minimum. A standard all-glass 2.5G is 12" long and 6" wide You could fit it practically anywhere...just outfit it with an Azoo Palm filter or similar "micro" tank filters and youll be set to go for a healthy betta tank.

emilyekk
05-15-2009, 06:25 AM
I already have a 10 gallon, which I had initially wanted to put the betta in.

Well I was talked into not getting a betta and my 10 gallon is now fully stocked with non betta friendly fishies.

However, I am finding myself STILL wanting to bring a betta home EVERY single time I walk into the fish store.

I know they need a filter and all that, but what is the smallest tank I could get away with and still have a happy betta?

The only problem is that I share a house with my boyfriend and his best friend and we don't have a 10 of space. (bf about fainted when I brought home a little 10 gallon, lol). I kind of need it to be small enough to fit in the bedroom but I'm obviously not going to keep it in a "betta holder" or any of that crap that tries to pass it off as a tank.

Would I *HAVE* to get something as large as a 5 gallon?

I really want a freaking betta, lol. :(

EDIT::: I just realized I wrote "10 of space", I meant "ton of space", lol. oops.

okay 2.5 is probably do-able. my boyfriend is getting irrated with me wanting it but he didn't want a betta in the first place so whatever. :/

He also thinks I could just keep it in a wine glass so yeah... :/

Any idea how much a 2.5 gallon with h20 in it would weigh?

korith
05-15-2009, 06:35 AM
EDIT::: I just realized I wrote "10 of space", I meant "ton of space", lol. oops.

okay 2.5 is probably do-able. my boyfriend is getting irrated with me wanting it but he didn't want a betta in the first place so whatever. :/

He also thinks I could just keep it in a wine glass so yeah... :/

Any idea how much a 2.5 gallon with h20 in it would weigh?

One gallon weighs about 8.34 pounds. So you're looking at about 21 pounds of water, then a bit more weight for the tank itself. Shouldn't weigh much overall, light enough to put on pretty much any surface.

Just figure it'll weigh less than 2 jugs of milk:p

And the wine glass what a bad idea. What they can live in and what they can thrive in, are two totally different things.

Bok
05-15-2009, 06:36 AM
My wife uses a 5 gallon for hers. It is 16" L x 8" wide x 10" high.
The betta uses all of that space. For weight figure about 10lbs per gallon.

Mvjnz
05-15-2009, 07:59 AM
I'd say 5 gallon minimum. They don't really take up that much space, and you'll have happier fish for it.

Remember that bettas are a little bit shy, they need lots of plants and a cave or two to hide in. If they don't have anywhere to hide they will just lie in a corner and be boring, while if you give them lots of interesting things to look (lots of plants and caves) they'll be constantly moving and investigating.

Lady Hobbs
05-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I'd go with a 5 gallon as well so you can decorate it a bit for them.

invadertoast
05-15-2009, 11:08 AM
I have the smallest bedroom in the world and fit three 2.5 gallon betta tanks in here. I have one on each dresser (my dressers are only 24" wide) and one on my tv stand (it fits next to the tv) Go with a 5 gallon if you have the space, but IMO 2.5 is fine, mine are filtered, heated, and planted and I have some happy fish :)

fishlover49
05-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I have mine in a 6 gallon. I had him in a 10 at first and he hated it. Go figure. Guess he didn't like that 4 extra gallons. :hmm3grin2orange:

Wild Turkey
05-15-2009, 01:55 PM
2.5 is usually adequate, but 5 gallons is much more preferable. When people ask i do give 2.5 as the min tank size though.

Most 5 gallon tank kits are the same length or less than the 2.5 anyway, its just not as thick.

erinw621
05-15-2009, 02:30 PM
You could try a hexagon shaped tank, I used to use that for when I was in a dorm (5gal)... small foot print.

emilyekk
05-15-2009, 06:48 PM
I am very interested in the hex tank. Or possible a 3 gallon marineland corner tank.. I am looking on craigslist for one that no one wants anymore though--- those tanks are like $50 here... ugh. My 10 gallon was that much. :/

MCHRKiller
05-16-2009, 02:01 AM
Walmart has a 5G eclipse hex knock off for $30 has the same exact setup and parts as an Eclipse but alot cheaper and marked with a different brand.

herc
05-16-2009, 02:13 AM
10s enuf,bettas dont need too much space,and its warm to other species but his own

thrakuarium
05-16-2009, 02:20 AM
I have a male in a 5 gal heated and filtered and a female in an eclipse 3 (3gal) also heated and filtered.Both are quite happy in their homes. Bettas LOVE a heated home and will exhibit a happier personality. So If you can afford a 5 gal and heater that would be perfect. Walmart has a tetra heater that would work with that hex tank that was mentioned for about 15 bucks. They also have a standard rect 5 gal kit in the 30 dollar range too. Still have to get the heater separate with that one.

fishbum
05-16-2009, 03:12 AM
Minimum tank size usually means maximum tank maintenance on your part.I know a 2.5 or a 3 gallon tank would work,but with a 5 gallon,it would be easier to maintain a steady temperature,and adding some lowlight live plants would also be easier.IMO,Betta's do better in tanks with live plants.You would also have more water in case you miss a water change,and the extra space is always nice for any fish.In a 5g,you could also have a couple nerite snails,or possibly some dwarf shrimp,depending on your Betta's temperament.
With fish,more water is always better.Like someone else mentioned,Wal Mart has a 5g hex for around $30.All you will need is a heater.You factor in the lid,light,and heater with a 2.5g glass,and your spending almost the same amount of money.

emilyekk
05-16-2009, 03:17 AM
The super wal mart near me doesn't sell aquariums which I think its nutty, but I'm gonna go to a few more tomorrow and see what I can find.

I have a heater in my 10 gallon - I have it set to 78, it never clicks on because the temperature of my house always has it set at 80 degrees. If I turn the heat up it does come on so I know it does work - but I almost think I could skip the heater in the betta tank because the water is always going to be on 80 - 82.

I will most likely be getting a 5 gallon - have to find the right one though. Does anyone have any ideas of what kind of table to buy to keep these on? I can't keep it on my dresser, theres no room and my nightstand has a floating glass top and would almost definitely break.

I am torn on the real plants issue. I would like to try them but I am fairly new to aquariums and I don't know that I want to delve into that yet... would silk plants suffice?

thrakuarium
05-16-2009, 03:22 AM
I will most likely be getting a 5 gallon - have to find the right one though. Does anyone have any ideas of what kind of table to buy to keep these on? I can't keep it on my dresser, theres no room and my nightstand has a floating glass top and would almost definitely break.

I am torn on the real plants issue. I would like to try them but I am fairly new to aquariums and I don't know that I want to delve into that yet... would silk plants suffice?

Allow yourself 10 lbs per gallon, so a 5 gallon tank need a table that can easily support 50 lbs. Mine is on a wooden end table. Yes silk plants will work. That is what I use. Just dont use plastic plants. The leaf edges might rip the betta's finnage.

invadertoast
05-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Silk plants are fine, biut if you can find some get some java ferns. They look nicer than fake plants, are beneficial, and nearly impossible to kill. I don't do anything special for mine and they sprout new baby plants all the time!

As for a table, just find something sturdy and you're good to go. I keep my 2.5 gallon tanks on small dressers and wouldn't hesitate to put something larger on them if I had the space. Just make sure you don't get something made of particle board and you should be all set!

Jv Torres
05-18-2009, 04:16 AM
the betta will be very happy in a 5 gal. :19:

post pictures if you get it? thumbs2:

iZinedane
05-19-2009, 06:51 AM
at least a 2.5g should do it thumbs2: