PDA

View Full Version : Big community tank of little fishies

lordravne
05-14-2009, 08:38 PM
I plan on getting a glass tank with a minimum of 70 gallons. I'm thinking of 6 swordtails, 6 platys, 3 guppies, 2 dwarf frogs, 2 bettas, 10 neon tetras, and 2 freshwater puffers. I plan on the tank being planted. I believe all of these can coexist together. I have enough room for a few more fish, I think. Maybe bala sharks if there's enough open space. Or some dojo loaches? Any suggestions? :fish:

Northernguy
05-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
That is a bad mix actually.Bala sharks get big!
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/sharkfish/balashark.php
Green puffers are best kept in species only tanks.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/greenpuffer.php
As for guppies you want 2 females for every male or male/females only.
They breed like crazy and most females drop a litter every month.
Do your research so you can have a pleasant experience.
Do not forget the free e-book on the left and check out the beginners section.There is a few threads there on cycling your tank.
I highly recomend fishless cycling.

Little Embers
05-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Also, If they are 2 male bettas you are getting, I would advise only getting 1. 2 males may end up trying to kill each other (they are solitary fish in that respect), even if there is space for them to hide. I also don't think that bettas are very compatible with guppies in particular (betta's often see them as a threat because of the bright colouring. Only my opinion though lordravne and sorry for the negativity.

Northernguy
05-14-2009, 09:23 PM
lol yup sorry! Little Embers is right! I didn't see the 2 betas.Not a wise.They will either kill each other as fight fo the same territory.They may not like any other bright colored fish as well.You could try one.Some have had success. Forget about keeping fry in the tank though.
Lotsa java moss for the top of the tank would help as well.

Kaz
05-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Dojo loaches are coldwater and the rest of the fish are warmwater.

Puffers are fairly agressive depending on the species.

And that rule about guppies and the 2 female: 1 male? that's true for all livebearers (swordtails, mollies, ect.) And they all breed like rabbits too.

lordravne
05-15-2009, 01:25 AM
Thank you for the replies. As for the bettas, I was thinking a male/female or 2 female mix. The puffers I have come across can be rather sedate. Right now I have one in a tank of S. American cichlids. Yes, I know those are also semi-aggressive but they do work. With the displayed personality I'm wondering if it will work with the guppies etc. And the puffers I'm thinking of will be smaller than the platys. Thank you on the advice about loach being coldwater, I'll have to reconsider that one. Any other thoughts are welcome. Guppy v. betta I hadn't thought about so I'll have to reconsider that one also. Perhaps no guppies, then. Oh yeah, and X-nay on the bala sharks. You're right, they would get too big.

invadertoast
05-15-2009, 01:36 AM
If you're doing bettas, don't do a male/female mix. Get females, and get more than two because they will constantly fight for dominance. A group of at least 3 will work out a pecking order and will most likely get alone fine (try to introduce them at the same time)

Red
05-15-2009, 01:38 AM
I have a 1/3f ratio in my 40gal and 2 females in my 75 (one of the only things that survived) and they do fine..

Kaz
05-15-2009, 01:40 AM
What type of puffers?

I.E. Figure Eights or Greens.

lordravne
05-15-2009, 05:20 AM
As the link below describes, these guys are only mildly aggressive and it seems to do well in the Americans cichlid tank. In fact it seems submissive to the cichlids although they don't mess with it at all. Could be because they're bigger than it...

http://puffernet.tripod.com/erythrotaenia.html

and this forum seems to dig up useful info on this particular puffer.
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13979&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=red+line+puffer

I honestly think it would make a nice addition to a community tank. It's a relatively slow swimmer in the tank and very shy. Cute sucker, though.

lordravne
05-15-2009, 04:45 PM
For loaches I think I'll switch to zebra loaches, then. They can handle warmer waters.