PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp Warning

Jakaris
03-03-2007, 05:09 AM
My new betta got it in his idiotic head to try and swallow a ghost shrimp whole, and he choked on it. I'm sure it was a GS, cause after he died I pulled it out. Going to pick up a crowntail tomorrow, and snails instead of ghost shrimp to work as a clean-up crew.

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 05:43 AM
EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. I was going to get a ghost shrimp for my betta tomorrow. guess not.

The saddest thing that happened to one of my bettas is one of mine had a uncurable tumor and i decided for its last days of life it should live happily in a 20g hex with a submersible filter. The poor thing jabbed itself behind the filter and its gills were so red after 3 hours i had to euthuanise him.

Not to be gross or anything, but was the ghost shrimp still alive?

Betta_noob
03-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Wow I've never had mine try to swallow them alive...or maybe my boys are both just big o_O

Sorry to hear for your loss.

Jakaris
03-04-2007, 08:43 PM
It was dead, I guess the throat contractions and him trying to heave it up killed it. Got a new betta yesterday, after I had taken the remaining shrimp out of course >.> First time having a crowntail.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3500/bettagt3.th.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bettagt3.jpg)

cocoa_pleco
03-04-2007, 08:45 PM
nice new one!:1:

xoolooxunny
03-04-2007, 11:22 PM
that's weird, because those ghost shrimp are usually pretty fast when stuff gets near it, they shoot away in the blink of an eye...are you sure the ghost shrimp wasnt dead before he tried to eat it?

AquaQueen
03-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your fish...Nice new one you got tho love the crowntails.

Betta_noob
03-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Again sorry for your loss, but another word of caution.
Just to advise you concerning crowntails, their tips will more often than not seem wilty in less than perfect water conditions, even if it was previously ok for other bettas.

Jakaris
03-06-2007, 01:24 AM
They dont look wilty atm, so I guess the conditions are okay (I did a huge water change, so its different).

And the shrimp MAY have been dead when he found it, I didn't see him eat it, i just know he DID.

cocoa_pleco
03-06-2007, 01:26 AM
probably was dead, since a g-shrimp could fight off the betta

sergo
03-06-2007, 02:25 AM
i've come to the conclusion that bettas will eat anything snails, gs or whatever they can get into there mouths. hell they even eat cucumber and zucchini that i put in for my plecos. mine are pigs so feeding them is very easy thumbs2:

cocoa_pleco
03-06-2007, 02:45 AM
ive heard they eat snails alot. Mine is not picky at all. anything i flop in he eats