PDA

View Full Version : 2.5G Cherry Shrimp tank?

DrNic
05-14-2009, 05:07 AM
My wife and I just redecorated her old 2.5G betta tank. She wanted to try something other than bettas and was wondering if we could put some cherry shrimp in there. Is this doable? Because of the size of the tank there isn't a heater on it which may pose a problem (I think).

Let me know what you think! thumbs2:

Algenco
05-14-2009, 05:14 AM
My wife and I just redecorated her old 2.5G betta tank. She wanted to try something other than bettas and was wondering if we could put some cherry shrimp in there. Is this doable? Because of the size of the tank there isn't a heater on it which may pose a problem (I think).

Let me know what you think! thumbs2:

I've kept them without a heater, as long as the room isn't too cold they'll be ok

korith
05-14-2009, 06:19 AM
That would make a fine tank for cherry shrimp. Your tank will be fine without a heater. There are two guys here in the local fish club that keep their red cherry shrimp bins outdoors year round, without any heaters. They'll just decrease in activity when it gets too cold. But since you'll be keeping them at room temperature that will not be a problem.

DrNic
05-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys. My wife will be thrilled!thumbs2:

Eileen
05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
That tank size is perfect. I got some red cherry shrimp from a friend and I had them in a small 2.5 gal. they had tiny babies and when you get to many you can sell them on craigslist. I have had no problem selling them as the reg. pet stores do not carry Red cherry shrimp and the fish stores in my area what $6 each. I sell mine for $3each with food and a java moss.They will do fine without a heater. If you want to get a small heater Walmart carries one I used in my tiny 2.5 gal. that is under $7 for 2-5 gal. tanks and is preset 4in/7.5 watts works really well. I think they will breed better at a temp. of 75-78. Did you check out the Thread below I posted on Cool Shrimp web sites? Some of them I have in that Thread has everything you need to know about dwarf shrimp and is very helpful. The lady that I got my Red cherrys from told me to get a magnifying glass to look at them. I did and they are very interesting to look at the babies are so tiny like a pin head when you get them. I have since got a Yellow shrimp on Aqua-bid. They require the same care as a red cherry shrimp. I keep the two in seperate tanks so they don't interbreed which will produce wild looking offspring which is an ugly brown. Want to keep them in their pure colors. I like the Tiger shrimp also. They have Tiger stripes. Good Luck! :fish:

Remember to cover the intake to the filter with nylon stocking or a fine netting so the babies don't get sucked up in the filter intake. Also they Molt their skins, Leave that in as they will eat that.

DrNic
05-14-2009, 06:23 PM
That is part of my concern with this tank. Technically there is no filter on it. I have an airstone setup which I can get a small sponge filter for but for the most part when we had bettas in there we were using the tank filter-less.

Eileen
05-14-2009, 10:25 PM
The 2.5 tank had a underground filter when I bought it. I do not like underground filters. I found one from DrsFosterSmith.com
it is called a azoo palm filter. It looks like a canister filter from a big tank and works great for tiny tanks up to 5 gal. Here is a web site to it: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9821
I had to cut out the back of the light fixture and the plastic cover underneath the light so that I could hang this one in the back of the 2.5 gal. I also put a bio sponge in the front of the water flow out to the tank. I liked this so much I bought 2 of them and now have a 3 gal. tank with Yellow shrimp.Let me give you the code that I have to get you 50% off of ground shipping for the month of May Coupon code: 3384/2145 if you decide to get one. My paper catalog has this listed at $8.99 cat. # APD-14052 . You can get the filter pads at Petco also. I had not found anyplace that has one this small for a tiny tank. It works great. Read the testimonials.

With shrimp you have to do a 20% water change once a week to keep the water Quality good at all times. They are sensitive to Nitrite,Nitrate, Ammonia spikes. Make sure that the food you feed does not have copper in it also. This could kill them. Some algae waffers have copper.