PDA

View Full Version : 20 juvie kribs, 25gal., now what??

Bok
05-14-2009, 04:04 AM
We were recently given a free bucket of fish. Didn't really know what they were until we put them in a tank, 25gal. Turned out to be 4 White Cloud minnows and 20 kribensis ranging in size from about 1" to 2" max. We KNOW its too small, just a temp holding tank.
We will probably be keeping 1 pair and selling/trading off the rest once they have shown some color. We don't have numerous tanks to grow them out a bit, so, first question:
We have a 30 gal, 36"x15"x15". Will this hold them for a while with adequate plant/hides?
Should we seperate the males from females and grow them out like that?
We don't want siblings to breed. Right??
That's about it, unless you give us more to think about. We have 0 experience with cichlids but we have done a fair amount of research.

Algenco
05-14-2009, 04:34 AM
inbreeding 1 or 2 generations is ok
no need to separate the sexes to grow them out
you need to do a 50% wc at least twice per week until you can get rid of some

Bok
05-14-2009, 04:40 AM
inbreeding 1 or 2 generations is ok
no need to separate the sexes to grow them out
you need to do a 50% wc at least twice per week until you can get rid of some
Thank you. Until what age do you think I can safely keep them all together before they all start 'going at it'?

They seem to be settling in a bit more every day.There were 4 or so with no color (shock from moving etc.) all starting to show a bit of color now. Nice looking species, not too aggressive right now.

Algenco
05-14-2009, 04:42 AM
if you have some that are 2" then any day now the fight will break out.
I would keep 3-4 pair and later cut that to 2 pr once you see strong pair bonds

Bok
05-14-2009, 04:54 AM
Allrighty! I'll split them into two tanks by the end of the week and go from there. Thanks again. Your help is muchly appreciated :22: