PDA

View Full Version : Silver or black arowana?

blacksnow
05-14-2009, 12:37 AM
My LFS's only carry silver arowanas. They are about $70 for a 6" - 10" fish.

I can get a 3" black arowana shipped to my door for $140.

I really like the black fins on the black arowana but man thats a small fish in my 125g =O

thoughts?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-14-2009, 12:40 AM
blacksnow, you know the thoughts of the members here on this topic. Why even ask? You know that you are going to be told not to put the arrowana in a 125gal tank. Yes a 3" fish seems small for a 125, but that 3" fish will be 12" inside a year if fed properly and the tank is maintained properly. If you can't have a much larger tank ready in 8 months then don't even bother.

Oscar_freak12321
05-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Um..first, let's hear the stocking on your 125. I'm saying this because I think that you can probably add the black arowana in without any problem if the fish aren't very aggressive. Do you have any smaller tanks?

Northernguy
05-14-2009, 12:42 AM
You could raise it with other fish but there is a very high risk that they will end up being lunch one day!
It won't look small in a few months!You do realize your tank ain't big enough for a full grown BA!!

blacksnow
05-14-2009, 12:51 AM
I do understand the tank isn't large enough for a full grown arowana. Nor a full grown reticulated stingray.

This tank will be housing a 3" (diameter) reticulated stingray, and a 4" - 6" peacock bass.

I like the black arowana, but getting him at 3 inches I'm worried he might become a meal for my stingray or bass =O

only tank i have other then my 46g bowfront he could go in would be my 10g. and 10g is way too small for him..i use it to keep feeder fish and ghost shrimp.

Oscar_freak12321
05-14-2009, 01:06 AM
If you like the black arowana, you can grow him out a little bit in the 46, to where he can hold his own in your 125.

blacksnow
05-14-2009, 01:19 AM
If you like the black arowana, you can grow him out a little bit in the 46, to where he can hold his own in your 125.
just found a 10" black arowana for $120!!! thats a steal...contacted the guy hopefully they are still in stock!

Oscar_freak12321
05-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Yep! Sounds good! Go for it if you can!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-14-2009, 01:55 AM
just found a 10" black arowana for $120!!! thats a steal...contacted the guy hopefully they are still in stock!

You going to have that 300gal tank ready in 3 months? If you are starting at 10" then you are cutting way back on the amount of time you will be able to keep that fish in a 125gal. The 3" I would have gone with for 10-11 months, but a 10" fish, nope, you just knocked 8-9 months off that.

Red
05-14-2009, 02:17 AM
I am sorry, but this is fail. You have peacock bass, arowana and a ray? Have you researched any one bit. Sorry to be a sour puss over here, but come on! Peacock bass get WAY to big for a 125, and grow pretty fast. 300 for a peacock bass is pretty small and to have tank mates? You are begging for a giant massacare in your fish, and your going to loose money and fishes life!

blacksnow
05-14-2009, 02:39 AM
I am sorry, but this is fail. You have peacock bass, arowana and a ray? Have you researched any one bit. Sorry to be a sour puss over here, but come on! Peacock bass get WAY to big for a 125, and grow pretty fast. 300 for a peacock bass is pretty small and to have tank mates? You are begging for a giant massacare in your fish, and your going to loose money and fishes life!

If I purchase an arowana between 6" - 10" over the course of a year it will grow possibly another 12". The same applies for the peacock bass.

So after 1 year two fish both right about 2' or under. Yes these fish will be testing the limits of the tank.

As I said if it appears to be a problem I will rid of the fish.

When we move into our house the 125 will turn into a community loach tank, and I'll be ordering something like the 8' x 3' x 2' tank from glasscages.com =p

I will be sure the water is filtered well, and water changes are done.

I do understand and appreciate everyones concerns. I respect everyone on this forum. As I have taken in a lot of knowledge from here.

I'm thinking I'll go the smart route. Get a 3" black arowana, and a peacock bass of similar size. The ray is 3" in diameter. These fish should all be 'ok' in this tank for a year. If not I will do whats necessary.

<3

Oscar_freak12321
05-14-2009, 02:54 AM
Good plan. Glad to hear. Just to make sure, I would get the lfs ready now to take your fish if need be, to be cautious not to end up with a fish that you can't get rid of.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-14-2009, 03:01 AM
Why not simply exercise the most important skill in this hobby: patience. Wait til you get into the new house and have the appropriate tank ready for the fish. It's not a matter of "if you have problems" it's when. A 2' fish in a 125 gal tank is absolutely ridiculous. You don't seem to understand this fact. You are talking about having a fish in a tank that is only 3x it's own length, and 6" narrower then it's entire length. Not only are you talking about doing that with 1 fish, but you are talking about doing it with 2 fish. I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced you understand and appreciate the concerns we have, and I'm not convinced because you have ignored them at every turn. When you first posted about this endeavor, you were planning on a 75gal tank with just the Arrowana and the Ray, and we told you then that it was a problem. Now that you have a 125 you seem to think that you can add a Peacock Bass to the mix and it be ok. Look, if the 75gal wasn't good for the Arrowana and the Ray, then the 125 certainly isn't good for the combo you are now suggesting.
I don't want to sound rude here, but a lot of people who know a lot more then you about this subject have advised you against this and you are still bent on doing it. What you are doing is about the same as if I went to the doctor and he/she told me that I was going to die if I didn't do his prescribed treatment and I blatently told him that I wasn't going to bother because I thought I'd be fine. Clearly the doctor is the expert, ignoring him would be foolish and arrogant. Just as the doctor precribes treatment with our best interest in mind, we have adivised you against this with your's and the fish's best interest in mind. If you want to grow out a 3" Arrowana in a 125gal tank then fine, go for it, but wait on the Ray and the Peacock Bass, there's no need to rush. Make sure you have the tank that can support those fish first.

blacksnow
05-14-2009, 03:09 AM
Why not simply exercise the most important skill in this hobby: patience. Wait til you get into the new house and have the appropriate tank ready for the fish. It's not a matter of "if you have problems" it's when. A 2' fish in a 125 gal tank is absolutely ridiculous. You don't seem to understand this fact. You are talking about having a fish in a tank that is only 3x it's own length, and 6" narrower then it's entire length. Not only are you talking about doing that with 1 fish, but you are talking about doing it with 2 fish. I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced you understand and appreciate the concerns we have, and I'm not convinced because you have ignored them at every turn. When you first posted about this endeavor, you were planning on a 75gal tank with just the Arrowana and the Ray, and we told you then that it was a problem. Now that you have a 125 you seem to think that you can add a Peacock Bass to the mix and it be ok. Look, if the 75gal wasn't good for the Arrowana and the Ray, then the 125 certainly isn't good for the combo you are now suggesting.
I don't want to sound rude here, but a lot of people who know a lot more then you about this subject have advised you against this and you are still bent on doing it. What you are doing is about the same as if I went to the doctor and he/she told me that I was going to die if I didn't do his prescribed treatment and I blatently told him that I wasn't going to bother because I thought I'd be fine. Clearly the doctor is the expert, ignoring him would be foolish and arrogant. Just as the doctor precribes treatment with our best interest in mind, we have adivised you against this with your's and the fish's best interest in mind. If you want to grow out a 3" Arrowana in a 125gal tank then fine, go for it, but wait on the Ray and the Peacock Bass, there's no need to rush. Make sure you have the tank that can support those fish first.

Me respecting everyones concerns doesn't mean I need to listen.

Amazing that i see tons of pictures on monsterfishkeepers.com of people having setups exactly like im describing or even more stuff in it, and the fish are healthy and fine.

I will keep everyone posted on how the tank goes.

the 3" black aro will be the first thing to hit the tank after it's cycled.

we shall see how it goes =O

my LFS is always willing to take fish like peacock bass, aro's, and rays. they are i high demand here, and they sell them for top dollar!

I do understand the concern, but even if both fish grew an above average amount in the year they would still be under 18"!

I don't post here to piss people off. I am open to everyones opinions...

*sigh* feel like i keep offending ppl =[

</3

Red
05-14-2009, 03:18 AM
*sigh* feel like i keep offending ppl =[

</3[/QUOTE]

you do! Its not like me and ILMGB are some newbs or something! You have people just giving up on you because your lack of listening! When you keep BIG fish in small tanks, it makes the fish STUNT THERE GROWTH, WHICH IN TURN SHORTENS THERE LIFE SPAN! So why keep moving fish around, creating stress, and SHORTENING THERE LIFE SPAN.
Why just wait till your new house and build whatever your going to build and not shorten fishes lifespan.

Practice good fish keeping, be responsible..

Oscar_freak12321
05-14-2009, 03:23 AM
I'm going to have to agree here. If you can, wait for a little while, then get the larger tank you mentioned somewhere in this thread. I hate to drop the axe here, but these fish are just too big to keep for you at this point. Get some fish that are better suited for your tank. Please. This has been explained over and over again. If you don't have the right size tank, just don't bother with the wrong size fish.

OscarFan
05-14-2009, 03:53 AM
I gotta step in here. Fish those sizes will grow alot more than 1" a month. My Oscar when he was a juvenile grew over an inch a month. And a peacock bass with other fish is not a good idea. They are not like the other fish and have a way larger bioload inch for inch then an arowana. So him alone would be pushing the 300g stocking. No ray should ever be put in a tank with a normal footprint. In less than 6 months he will have outgrown that tank. As well as being lunch for the bass. And since Rays are caught from the wild he will be very sensitive. I say get the 3 in black arowana, he can stay in the tank for over a year.
I know you will probably ignore all of this in your ignorance.

Wiggs
05-14-2009, 05:37 AM
Me respecting everyones concerns doesn't mean I need to listen.

They why ask for advice? Seems you will only accept one answer.

It's rather frustrating reading through the threads and seeing the overwhelming response warning you about this situation, and then it just being ignored. On top of that, instead of listening to advice on putting the Ray and Aro in the 75, you actually ADDED stock with a Peacock that will also get way to big.

I'm sorry, but why keep posting these plans? you know the sentiments of the members here.

robflanker
05-14-2009, 11:44 AM
They why ask for advice? Seems you will only accept one answer.

It's rather frustrating reading through the threads and seeing the overwhelming response warning you about this situation, and then it just being ignored. On top of that, instead of listening to advice on putting the Ray and Aro in the 75, you actually ADDED stock with a Peacock that will also get way to big.

I'm sorry, but why keep posting these plans? you know the sentiments of the members here.

I couldnt agree more Wiggs. This is the 2nd or 3rd thread by the OP where he states a question, then ignores all the advice and says he is going to do it anyway. I'm personally done offering them advice and im just feel bad that the other fine members here are offering advice that I know will fall on deaf ears.
Oh well, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink right?

AABatteries
06-19-2009, 05:15 AM
Amazing that i see tons of pictures on monsterfishkeepers.com of people having setups exactly like im describing or even more stuff in it, and the fish are healthy and fine.

my LFS is always willing to take fish like peacock bass, aro's, and rays. they are i high demand here, and they sell them for top dollar!

First of all, I agree with everything NG and ILMGB have stated. And you are sort of blowing off their words of advice.

And just because you something is being done, doesn't mean you should follow it. Do people keep oscars in 30 gallon tanks? Yep, should it be done? No way! Do people smoke? Yep, is it good for them? Nope!

I'm sure your LFS won't mind taking them. Chances are they'll stick them in a tank smaller than yours. And then when somebody buys them, they'll probably be going to an even smaller tank.

Red
06-19-2009, 05:17 AM
First of all, I agree with everything NG and ILMGB have stated. And you are sort of blowing off their words of advice.

And just because you something is being done, doesn't mean you should follow it. Do people keep oscars in 30 gallon tanks? Yep, should it be done? No way! Do people smoke? Yep, is it good for them? Nope!

I'm sure your LFS won't mind taking them. Chances are they'll stick them in a tank smaller than yours. And then when somebody buys them, they'll probably be going to an even smaller tank.

why did you call me NG:scry:

and don't even bother AA, hey won't listen, just let him make mistakes.

Needi
06-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Ok blacksnow...you did something i did not think was possible. You managed to get TRS to give up on you. This is a task that 100s of posts in the beginners forum could not manage. Congrats on disregarding the expert's advice and harming the lives of your fish. Good Luck and Happy fish killing(sarcasm)

-needi

P.S. sorry william

Crispy
06-19-2009, 01:25 PM
I've seen many large arowanas kept in 6ft tanks for many many years... granted, this can't happen with the peacock bass, but with the ray it's possible. You guys harp too much about "when the fish is full grown"....
so keep the fish for a few years... no big deal...

KatzeSlaugen
06-19-2009, 02:19 PM
well a few did say a year or so would be fine...
what i believe they are ttrying to prevent is moving a small fish from lets say a 5 gal to a 10 gal when it out grows it and then when it outgrows the 10 gallon moving it to a 15 and so on. i think they are just trying to prevent umm...fish juggling? so yes they can harp about it but i for one am glad they did or ide have to be looking for a bigger aquarium (which i cant afford). since i listened im fine but if i didn't listen i would be stunting my fishes growth and essentially killing it slowly

AABatteries
06-19-2009, 10:59 PM
why did you call me NG:scry:

Sorry Red. :11: IDK what I was thinking. It was 1:15 in the morning when I made that post, so that's probably why.

Red
06-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I've seen many large arowanas kept in 6ft tanks for many many years... granted, this can't happen with the peacock bass, but with the ray it's possible. You guys harp too much about "when the fish is full grown"....
so keep the fish for a few years... no big deal...

:rolling:

MCHRKiller
06-20-2009, 12:23 AM
My personal opinion on the matter :afro: A 125G tank makes a great grow out for an arowana when you have another tank lined up or already purchased. Makes me wonder how many people have actually seen an adult arowana. A LFS couple hours from me had one that was 28" thats topping out at about as large as they get in the normal home aquarium...he was housed in a 200 some odd gallon tank that was 8ft long 30" wide and 16or18" deep. I would NEVER think of owning an arowana in less than that...and if you have seen one...you all would agree. The fish's head was the size of a salad plate. Sure they are slender bodied and can turn on a dime...but they are also fairly active. Thus why I have waited all these years to own one...but I will buy a nice Jardini when I order my 300G tank which is 8*2.5*2

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Folks, we are beating a dead horse here. The OP asked for an opinion on which one he should get, obviously the answer is neither, but he is going to do what he wants regardless of our advice. We have digressed from helping this poster to rehashing the same thing over and over about Arowanas in 125gal tanks.

Mods, can we now close this? The original purpose of this thread has been taken care of.

Algenco
06-20-2009, 01:53 AM
I think all concerns have been addressed

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/deadhorse.gif

thread closed