PDA

View Full Version : Discus Prices

freshwaterfishlover
03-03-2007, 03:37 AM
Are there any such thing as cheap small Discus. Not the $99 each ones. Like $5-$10 dollars or even $15? Also what is the smallest tank I can use?

Chrona
03-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Cheapest I've seen discus is still like 25-35 bucks. No clue on tank size. I know they like taller tanks, just like angelfish.

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 03:42 AM
ive seen 40$ ones

Fishguy2727
03-03-2007, 03:53 AM
They will all get up to 6-8" in diameter so they will need a bigger tank. And they do better in schools. I wouldn't expect to see any decent ones under $25.

Glasstapper
03-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Most of the good ones I've seen are around $50-$75. The cheaper ones (about $30) don't seem very colorful to me.

From what I have read of discus, it seems that most people suggest to give about 10 gallons of water per discus, and to keep in schools of 6 or more. I guess if you got a few, then had two pair off, you could keep just those two in a smaller (tall version) tank.

jweintraub
03-03-2007, 06:26 AM
I've never seen Discus here in Germany less than 90 Euros! And trust me those are the small ones. The larger ones range from 120-160 Euros each! You can see why I stick to tropical's and Malawi's now!

crackatinny
03-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Most places i've seen here in Aus they have been AU$60 and over, so was amazed when I seen them for AU$16 in a small town close to here recently, they was not very colorful though, maybe that was the reason for the low price. Still made me wish I had the room though.

Lady Hobbs
03-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Discus need large tanks and soft water with low pH. They are very delicate and not suitable for community tanks at all. Even less than angels. I would think at least a 75 gallon planted tank.

They are expensive and run what others above have mentioned. You might be able to get a dead one for $5. :)

Fishguy2727
03-03-2007, 01:46 PM
At the LFS I work at we get in 1.5-2" ones and sell them for $30-35 even as they grow. We usually have really good ones. If those $15 ones were small they may have been bred by the store or someone local. I have seen small ones in stores, but they usually hold on to them longer to get more money. The ones that I see at $100 or more are usually almost or are fully grown and have great colors (possibly hormone enhanced).

bettaboy691
03-06-2007, 07:12 PM
the cheapest ive seen if £30 for a small one.
the minmum tank size i would say for full grown ones would be near 80-100 gallons. they like planty of space and like it well planted.

Nite Vizhun
03-16-2007, 07:39 PM
I've looked on ebay, and they have some decent prices. They have next day delivery guarantees, and live arrival guarantees. The ones I looked at had positive comments in the mid-90's, but I'm sure there is always some risk involved with buying from an individual on ebay.

This (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190092539721&rd=1&rd=1) guy is selling 4 brilliant turquoise at 2.5'' with a starting bid of $40. There is an overnight shipping charge of $45.00, so you end up spending at least $21 each, depending on what the bid ends up at. Not a bad price if it doesn't escalate too bad.

roulfi004
04-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Here the petstore sells them by size: the cheaper ones are the smallest, around 17 US$, and the adult ones, fully grown are around 50 US$

Unless the fish is rare or hard to breed, it seems that size matters, because u're probably paying them for taking care of the fish until its adult and healthy

I was thinking discus then i found out that they would get decimated with Tiger barbs. Damn barbs! wont let me buy the colored fish, not even gouramis are safe!

crackatinny
04-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I was in the town nearby here again the other day, where they have the shop that sells them for AU$16, I was so so tempted, but I don't think I am experienced enough for them yet, and besides they would have to go in with mollies, swordtails and platties, and I have read that they need to have a tank of there own.

Fishguy2727
04-05-2007, 01:56 PM
The water parameters of discus limit them to a tank based on their needs. That means a lower pH, much higher temp, and soft water if possible. Tank mates need to be carefully selected based mainly on water parameter compatiblity as well as behavior.

Chrona
04-05-2007, 04:03 PM
And most people recommend you get adult discus and not juvies, as juvies need much more care/feeding and are usually raised in bare bottom tanks that are kept spotless (with very frequent water changes) in order to prevent and stunting of growth. I would say it's worth it to invest the additional 40 bucks or so per fish.

crackatinny
04-05-2007, 04:09 PM
And most people recommend you get adult discus and not juvies, as juvies need much more care/feeding and are usually raised in bare bottom tanks that are kept spotless (with very frequent water changes) in order to prevent and stunting of growth. I would say it's worth it to invest the additional 40 bucks or so per fish.

The fish I have seen at $16 do seem quite healthy, the main reason for my reluctance is my lack of expereience.

Chrona
04-05-2007, 04:13 PM
The fish I have seen at $16 do seem quite healthy, the main reason for my reluctance is my lack of expereience.

I think the main issue with discus is not experience, as they are just fish after all (though don't adapt to various water conditions as easily as some). The main problem I think is maintainance, since they need very clean water (esp when they are growing)

Fishguy2727
04-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Ones big enough to be sold in LFSs do not need bare bottom and 6x daily feedings. They are actually better than some adults because frequently adults have problems acclimating to a move and a new tank, whereas juveniles are much less stressed by it.

salman
07-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I bought my 2 or 3 inch for 11 dollars each. I guess i got a good deal.

YaYgoldFish
07-10-2007, 01:52 AM
I bought my 2 or 3 inch for 11 dollars each. I guess i got a good deal.

Sal could you please stop bringing back up old topics?

salman
07-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Sal could you please stop bringing back up old topics?

Old topic? I thought you were asking for prices?

Cal Discus
07-16-2007, 06:40 AM
internationaldiscus.com is where you should order your discus from. I have 20-30 of them from Kenny. Discus are not anymore delicate than any other fish. It is simple if you understand the basic care needed. Clean water, good filtration, good food and 4-5 of their own kind. You can have then in a community tank with cards, BN plecos, sterbai, rummy nose, and some other assorted dither fish. Ph needs to be somewhere between 5.5 and 8.0 but stability is the key. 0 ammo, 0 nitrites and 5-10 nitrates. Yes, younger ones need better environment to grow to their highest potential so its good to use BB tank. Subs to adults dont require as many feedings so you could set them up in a show tank with substrate and plants.