PDA

View Full Version : A few pics of betta

korith
05-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Somehow I ended up getting a betta a while ago, not sure what happened. I went to store to get some crab cuisine pellets for my shrimp, and left with a betta.

Originally planned for this tank to be a place to store excess plants before taking them to auction. Somehow ended up adding substrate to it, and now a betta.

This pic is a few weeks old. I've added in a black background and some more plants.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww229/korith_2008/P4060031.jpg

Here is something odd about this guy, the day I got him he was this colour with only a little bit of blue
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww229/korith_2008/P5120091.jpg

The next day he was this colour
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww229/korith_2008/P4060007.jpg

Haven't seen him go back to all reddish, so I take it as a sign he's doing well.

His inability to stop moving when I've gotten him in focus, has caused me to name him Blur. 50+ pics of him and I've yet to get one in focus!

Did have a sponge filter in his tank, but I needed it for a fry tank. So he's got a small hob filter in it now. Oddly enough he seems to enjoy the current at that end of the tank. He patrols the whole tank all day. Seems to spend a lot of time in the current, then goes back to the slow end of the tank and chills out on the sword plants or under them.

I took some anacharis and sort of loosely woven it into a ring. He's been busy making a bubble nest in it.

At the moment his only companions are 10-20 ghost shrimp. Hard to tell how many are left and how many ended up as dinner. I usually spent $3-4 on ghost shrimp every few weeks and dump them into my 55g. The place I get them doesn't really count so I usually end up with a lot more than I've paid for.

I've got a small fry tank right beside it, he amuses himself by flaring occasionally at the end of the tank. Has flared and attacked the gravel vac a few times as well.

Probably the smartest fish I have, the fish in the rest of the tanks scatter and hide out when anyone comes near the tank. The betta goes right up to the glass. Follows my hand and follows it for the food that will come.

Deleted User
05-13-2009, 11:11 AM
That is a nice looking betta and a great set up. :ssmile:

Strange how he changed colour like that.

Great pics. :ssmile:

rich311k
05-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Nice tank and fish. I have one that I bought that was red that turned almost blue as well.

Gayle
05-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Great tank! Blur looks like he is doing well!!

thrakuarium
05-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Beautiful betta thumbs2: Most likely the improvement in his living environment brought his true colors out. Maybe ghost shrimp are color enhancers in a bettas diet LOL. It is amazing the personality these guys have once they get the room they deserve.
Both my bettas had a color improvement after I got them as well,though not to that extreme. They come to the glass for attention, play follow the finger and my male turns side to side while I pretend to pet him thru the glass.
Enjoy your new friend. Bettas are like potato chips, you may not be able to have just one.:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
05-13-2009, 02:06 PM
That is a great looking beta!He looks happy in that tank!
The color change may have been due to small container you bought him in.
Stress will do crazy things to fish!