PDA

View Full Version : so i know its normal.

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Just a question. Im getting a betta for my 2.5g today thats empty.
The bettas getting some java moss, driftwood, gravel, and a light.

I never have had luck with bettas, and was wondering when you see them lay down for a minute like at the lfs is it normal? Im going to the lfs to get one in about 30 min, and do ghost shrimp make good tankmates? I need a ghost shrimp for spring cleaning in the tank.

xoolooxunny
03-03-2007, 01:26 AM
my ghost shrimp make great tank mates with my community fish! they always eat the leftovers. give the betta some bubbles to play in, im assuming that they lay on the bottom because they're depressed, i would be to in those little cups!

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 01:48 AM
mines perky, swimmin all around and all.

I got a light red male, which looked like the healthiest one there.
Ill have to get a ghost shrimp tomorrow.
Do bettas eat frozen bloodworm or just freeze-dried?

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 02:42 AM
wouldnt the ghost shrimp try to attack the bettas fins?

Chrona
03-03-2007, 02:43 AM
No, apparently, ghost shrimp don't even bother fry (from what I've heard)

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 02:51 AM
i remember in my 10g with 8 zebra danio and a shrimp i found shrimpy knawing on a danio, and a week later the hunter became the hunted ( shrimp got eaten)
The danio probably died from old age.

I'l try a ghost shrimp i guess then

Rue
03-03-2007, 03:01 AM
Glad you're adopting a betta...more of the poor guys need to go to good homes...

...fresh food would be nice, but I think if you offer a variety of dried/freeze-dried food you should be good...

Mine get the Betta Bits, freeze dried blood worms, tropical fish pellets for bettas too...AND they eat the other fishes flakes...

Platies should make for good tank mates if you don't mind mixing your fish, and they're mid-water swimmers...cory cats or oto cats are also fine...

Betta_noob
03-03-2007, 03:06 AM
Also its good to vary their diet, so if you can get like, bloodworms, flakes, and pellets its good to mix it all up to give them variety :D

Word of caution with the ghost shrimp though.
The Betta MIGHT eat them, especially when they molt, they're prime targets. I've had it happen to a couple of my boys, who then got constipated and I had to unblock them by feeding them a cooked, deshelled pea.

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 03:07 AM
for a 2.5g i think anything but a otto cat or shrimp or 2 white clouds would be unhappy.

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 03:08 AM
i dont need a shrimp eater. eek.

Hmmmmm, a white cloud then

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 04:24 AM
do bettas like heavily planted tanks, or more room than plants?

Betta_noob
03-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Well it depends on the individual fish, but they DO need hidey spots, even if they're aren't a lot of them you need to give them somewhere to relax and feel like they're safe just like any other fish.

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 05:32 PM
so far he has spots to hide

Faith_at_Large
03-04-2007, 12:51 AM
My original Betta liked thawed frozen brine shrimp. I used to add a little bit every other day or so for a treat. Bettas are carnivores and like extra treats like these. I have also provided freeze dried bloodworms once a week and regularly feed Betta Bits floating pellets for the main course during daily feedings. My new Betta, Archimedes, will be feed a similar diet. There are other nice treats available at the pet store and instructions on line for preparing your own live food. I don't know if I am ready to breed mosquitos on purpose, but I will be checking out different options.