PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on stocking.

Owlbehere
05-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Okay so I need some opinions.

I have been looking around the web and can't find much information on Black skirts and tank size. I have read about the water parameters and that they can be aggressive, but not tank size. Most say minimum 20g and 24" long. I have three currently and would like two more. They are in a 20 gallon long. Will two more fit or do these three need to go one of my 46g? (It would be just them and 4 danios and a white cloud)

(See my signature for the stocking on the other two tanks.)

I am planning on moving the Molly and platy to the tetra 46 and getting another molly and platy. Will this leave room for a school of small tetra like neons?
And what if the Black skirts go to this tank? Will it be too full?

If they need to be moved, could the Black skirts be aggressive enough to be with the barbs or are they too rough for BS?

Thanks!

smaug
05-12-2009, 11:30 PM
I kept 5 black skirts,5 red eye,5 serpae,amd 6 tiger barbs in a 20 gal tall for over 3 yrs.I still have 3-4 of the skirts and half of the rest of them in my 58gal planted tank.skirts are no nippier then any of the other tetra which means not really nippy at all.They tend to bash each other and leave tankmates alone.Skirts also like slightly cooler water then many of there brethern but not much.

Owlbehere
05-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Okay then, so that 20 can be a BS tank because the danios and white cloud supposedly like cooler water as well.

That tank has an UGF and two HOB (20 and 10) filters (one is for the hospital) a 4" circular air stone and an air volcano. Can it handle the 5 BS and a slightly larger danio and white cloud school?

Red
05-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Yeah it can handle the 5 BS..

smaug
05-12-2009, 11:51 PM
You will be fine.I forgot to mention that for all those years in the 20 I never had a water heater and even when I got very cool in our house [65 deg] the fish di ok,note ,not great,but ok.I simply backed off on the feeding to account for there slowed metabolism.Im not advocating this just sharing some experiance to help ypou out.

Owlbehere
05-13-2009, 12:36 AM
Cool thanks guys!!!!

Oscar_freak12321
05-13-2009, 12:47 AM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+890+1563&pcatid=1563

Just to put the finishing touchthumbs2: