PDA

View Full Version : Kritter Keepers as betta tanks?

candice&jeff
05-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Just wondering if anyone uses kritter keepers for their betta tanks? I was planning on getting one but when I asked in another forum someone said they're not ment to hold water and will leak. The description says ther're great for small fish?

Here's a link to the one I was looking at (it's the large one):
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=119539

All info or advise is greatly appricated!!
Thanks!!

troy
05-12-2009, 11:05 PM
What is the size of the keeper?

Gayle
05-12-2009, 11:35 PM
You can use them I guess, I would not recommend it as they are not really set up to handle a filter, and I do not think you can use a heater with them. They also are very easy to crack, and the weight of the water may just do that. I have had a few critter keepers for other things and really they are not very sturdy. I think you would be better off just going ahead and getting a fish tank.

Sharon
05-13-2009, 12:53 AM
If I'm reading it correctly, even the largest would be rather small for any fish....:ssmile:

rich311k
05-13-2009, 12:59 AM
You could use it but I think a real tank would be much better. Any idea on the volume of them?

thrakuarium
05-13-2009, 01:27 AM
I have one and they do work for housing a betta, raising fry, or a hospital tank. The one I have holds approximately 1 and 2/3 gallons of water. It is the medium sized critter keeper. I use a hydor mini heater. It says it works on 2-5 gallon, but it does fine here too. A tetra air pump handles the air/filtration part. I wouldn't recommend it for long term use of standard tropical fish. But as a betta home it would be fine. The only cautionary part concerning water is the common sense one. Don't try to move it using the handle attached to the lid when its full.:ssuprised: Mine was purchased for fry raising and hospital use when needed. If ya got the funds, a standard setup is still better.

Mvjnz
05-13-2009, 02:59 AM
I've had one for over a year, it had my apple snails to begin with, then some killies, then some fry and then a betta. It holds water just fine, and if you get a small filter and heater that's not a prob either, I always had mine filtered and heated, with the smallest filter and heater I could find. Mine is 15 litres, which I will admit is a little on the small side for a betta, but It's heavily planted and has a little cave, and he looks just as happy as the others ones which are in bigger tanks.

I wouldn't move it around full of water tho, as it does feel like it would crack much easier than a glass tank would... But that being said, my partner has on occasion lifted it while it was full of water, only a very short distance, and it was fine.

DrNic
05-13-2009, 05:25 AM
I picked up a bunch of those at a Petco $1 sale a while ago. They are great for holding plants, and small fish during tank changes, etc.

You could probably set one up as a betta tank if you can find one big enough. Just be careful. I have to agree that I don't think they are meant to hold water long term, although I could be wrong.

The bigger concern is to make sure you keep it out of direct sunlight. I left one of them in front of my window with some plants over the summer last year. At the end of the summer when I went to pick it up the whole thing shattered in my hands sending gravel, plants, water and plastic shards everywhere.

korith
05-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Seen people house bettas in them. They were on sale at petco in my area as well. The small ones I think can probably hold about 3/4 of a gallon.

Think a nice feature of those kritter keepers is the grilled plastic lids on them. Perfect for keeping the tank open to the air, but at the same time keep those fish from jumping out.

Wild Turkey
05-13-2009, 09:37 AM
They work fine but you need to be careful, they are easy to crack.

In my opinion, a tupperware/rubbermaid of the same size is a better option, just not for viewing. They do make several that are large enough for a betta though.

candice&jeff
05-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone! I have to say I enjoy this forum the best!!

The one we were thinking about getting is a little over 5 gallons. We were also going to get the Hydor Mini Aquarium Heater, and the Penn Plax Small World Pump and Filter kit.

I think we're going to start looking for a 5 gallon aquarium kit, if anyone has any suggestions please let us know!!

Thanks again everyone!

korith
05-13-2009, 02:39 PM
I think we're going to start looking for a 5 gallon aquarium kit, if anyone has any suggestions please let us know!!

Thanks again everyone!

I believe there was a fairly cheap hex type tank on sale at walmart last week. Accessories for small tanks are fairly affordable there as well.

candice&jeff
05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
I believe there was a fairly cheap hex type tank on sale at walmart last week. Accessories for small tanks are fairly affordable there as well.

Great! I'll go and check on my lunch break!

thrakuarium
05-13-2009, 04:48 PM
If you are going for a 5 gal, Wal-Mart is where I got the one my male betta is in. It's an Aqua-tech kit, standard 5 gal glass rect, that I picked up for 30 bucks. That's regular price I think. Only extra hardware needed was the heater which was around 15 bucks for a tetra. Works nice and the Aqua-tech filter is actually pretty good.... it has a permanent 2nd filter for bacteria colonizing.

Sarkazmo
05-14-2009, 04:13 AM
The bigger concern is to make sure you keep it out of direct sunlight. I left one of them in front of my window with some plants over the summer last year. At the end of the summer when I went to pick it up the whole thing shattered in my hands sending gravel, plants, water and plastic shards everywhere.

Apparently they're not UV stable. CHEAP plastic then. UV light breaks down a lot of plastics that way... they become brittle and just shatter/fall apart. Not good.

I bought something similar to these at WallyMart for like $5. 1 gallon in size. I originally used it to hatch out Triops but it's now being used for a hospital tank for a rescue Betta. They're really too small for just about any critter in my opinion. Good for temporary use but that's it.

Sark

Sarkazmo
05-14-2009, 04:19 AM
If you are going for a 5 gal, Wal-Mart is where I got the one my male betta is in. It's an Aqua-tech kit, standard 5 gal glass rect, that I picked up for 30 bucks. That's regular price I think. Only extra hardware needed was the heater which was around 15 bucks for a tetra. Works nice and the Aqua-tech filter is actually pretty good.... it has a permanent 2nd filter for bacteria colonizing.

Honestly, the 5 gallon glass tanks are really over priced. You can get a 10gallon blank for $12 at WalMart. Add a clip on desklamp and a 10watt CFL Lights of America aquarium bulb for $9 and $6 respectively and a Marineland Penguin 100 bio wheel HOB filter ordered online for $17 shipped and you've got a complete setup for about $45.

Sark

Wild Turkey
05-14-2009, 04:43 AM
a penguin100 would probably be too much current for a betta, I would probably go with a sponge filter if i was trying to save money on a 5 gal betta setup. The penguin will turn the tank over 25 times in an hour, which is not a problem except bettas hate current and will chew off their own fins and such. Its advertised as a 20gal filter (so its actually a ten gal filter)

thrakuarium
05-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Sark:

There's no question a smaller sized aquarium setup is costlier than a larger on a per gallon price. However, the thread starter mentions looking at a 5 so that is what I based my recommendation on. My 5 was bought instead of a 10 for 2 reasons. The space available made the 5 feasable but not the 10, and the kitten in the house made the lid a NECESSITY :hmm3grin2orange:

robflanker
05-14-2009, 12:24 PM

Gah I've been keeping my eye out for a decent tank to replace the gf's 1.25g betta cuboid tank.
Do you remember which one it was?

mrs fishpatrick
05-14-2009, 01:07 PM
I have altered one of these in to a breeding box, I drilled small holes all around the sides 1/2 inch or less apart and left them up an inch from the bottom, put 2 suction cups through larger holes and have it as a tank in a tank, it is holding cory and BN fry at the moment, while in the rest of the tank there are kribensis fry

korith
05-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Gah I've been keeping my eye out for a decent tank to replace the gf's 1.25g betta cuboid tank.
Do you remember which one it was?

Can't remember if I go there later today I'll take a look.

robflanker
05-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Can't remember if I go there later today I'll take a look.

Thank you sir

candice&jeff
05-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Well our wal-mart only has 3 gallon tanks(our wal-mart doesn't have much for fish supplies). :scry: So I guess mabee we will drive to the next town this weekend and checkout petco, I really want a 5 gallon for him.
Thanks again everyone!!

robflanker
05-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I think one can get 10g tanks for like $13-14.

You can always check out CL too.

candice&jeff
05-14-2009, 03:36 PM
I would love a ten gallon for him but we just don't have the room, :scry: 10 gallons are cheaper too!!

robflanker
05-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Ah ok. Yeah I was wondering why you wanted less than a 10g. Check out Walmart.com I seem to remember being able to order some tanks online

*edit Dr Foster has a sale on a 5.5g or 6g tank right now - its like $36 with built-in filter and lights and stuff*

candice&jeff
05-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Ah ok. Yeah I was wondering why you wanted less than a 10g. Check out Walmart.com I seem to remember being able to order some tanks online

*edit Dr Foster has a sale on a 5.5g or 6g tank right now - its like $36 with built-in filter and lights and stuff*

Thanks!!! I'll check it out right now lol.

Sarkazmo
05-16-2009, 09:16 AM
a penguin100 would probably be too much current for a betta, I would probably go with a sponge filter if i was trying to save money on a 5 gal betta setup. The penguin will turn the tank over 25 times in an hour, which is not a problem except bettas hate current and will chew off their own fins and such. Its advertised as a 20gal filter (so its actually a ten gal filter)

It does create too much current in a small tank like my 1.5 gallon but with an easily made diffuser to use up much of the energy in the flow it works out great and creates sparkling water. :)

Here's one of the ones I created for my tank. I'm currently on revision 3 and using a Gatorade type bottle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2xx74Sh4-U

Sark