PDA

View Full Version : Praecox Rainbow in a 29gallon

Taurus
05-12-2009, 06:02 PM
How many adult Dwarf Neon Rainbows can be kept and stay healthy in a standard 29 gallon tank?

The profile for this rainbow does not seem to indicate that they are demanding fish, but do need clean water.

Can someone share their experience keeping these rainbows?

Thanks so much in advance. :22:

jaysee
05-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I have 6 in a 20G and haven't ever had a single issue. When my rams kept dying, the rainbows were and still are perfect. I think they'll be happy to have some more swimming room and a few more buddies when I move them to either the 29 or the 45. They have been rock solid for me, but I do large regular wcs and keep the ammonia level below 0.05 ppm at all times, as I'm sure you do too. I also put them in a brand new tank when I got them. The gravel was taken from existing tanks and the filter media had been primed in an existing tank, so I experienced no cycle.

Taurus
05-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Thank you jaycee. I'm glad to hear they've done well for you. I'm no stranger to LPWCs. My plan is the same as yours for starting up my new 29 gallon tank. Used media from an established tank can't be beat!

jaysee
05-12-2009, 07:15 PM
They are a bit timid though, which is why I am thinking about putting them in the 29 in my bedroom rather than the 45 in the living room.

rangur1
06-22-2009, 06:50 PM
i have kept these fish for several years, for a 29gal long tank [3'] you will be fine with 10 . but these fish are skittish , so a heavily planted tank is in order.
it will help them feel much more secure and display those colors they are known for.

Algenco
06-22-2009, 06:54 PM
i have kept these fish for several years, for a 29gal long tank [3'] you will be fine with 10 . but these fish are skittish , so a heavily planted tank is in order.
it will help them feel much more secure and display those colors they are known for.
http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/iagree.gif