PDA

View Full Version : Best non-fish related snail elimination option?

PUNISHER VETTE
05-11-2009, 06:01 AM
So my new 30g tank has snails....bad(pond snails). Even after my bleach and peroxide dip when transferring the plants.

I'm still not ready for fish and even if i did i've got too many shrimp for ones that might help with this situation anyway.

I've tried the copper had-a-snail drops and i just can't affect the snails enough without hurting the shrimp too.

Anyone here tried assassin snails? That might be one of my next steps unless i get another idea i can try.

I ready don't think putting a boiled piece of lettuce will attract enough...but maybe i'm wrong?

Wild Turkey
05-11-2009, 06:05 AM
It works pretty well, just start doing it every few days until you are satisfied with the amount you are seeing around the tank, doing it once wont do much if theres already a ton and eggs

PUNISHER VETTE
05-11-2009, 06:25 AM
i'm pretty sure all my shrimp would eat if first as well.

korith
05-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Just put the piece of lettuce in there at night and then in the morning grab it. The shrimp will come right off it once you grab it the snails are too slow moving to escape. You'll never be rid of snails this way. There was a member selling assassin snails late last year here, but haven't seen them on in ages. I believe there are a few people over on arizonainverts.com forum that sell the assassin snails. I plan on getting a few myself, I have the same problem as you, snails in a few tanks but also shrimp. Hard to deal with the snails w/o hurting the shrimp.

Think the only 100% solution would be to totally break down the tank and scrub it clean. As well as cleaning the filter, media and gravel.

PUNISHER VETTE
05-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Just put the piece of lettuce in there at night and then in the morning grab it. The shrimp will come right off it once you grab it the snails are too slow moving to escape. You'll never be rid of snails this way. There was a member selling assassin snails late last year here, but haven't seen them on in ages. I believe there are a few people over on arizonainverts.com forum that sell the assassin snails. I plan on getting a few myself, I have the same problem as you, snails in a few tanks but also shrimp. Hard to deal with the snails w/o hurting the shrimp.

Think the only 100% solution would be to totally break down the tank and scrub it clean. As well as cleaning the filter, media and gravel.

did that. Tank was brand new, gravel was bleached, plants were dipped in solution.

Maybe it's just a sign that says i shouldn't have fish tanks anymore....

korith
05-11-2009, 04:13 PM
did that. Tank was brand new, gravel was bleached, plants were dipped in solution.

Maybe it's just a sign that says i shouldn't have fish tanks anymore....

Hehe, well I got the same problem with two of my tanks. I had all my tanks more or less snail free, except for one. Then while I was gone on a break, I had a friend take care of the tanks for me. He used the same net on every tank, I think he somehow transferred snails over.

How long did you dip the plants for? How strong of a bleach solution? Something else you can dip plants with is potassium permanganate. If you can't find it locally you can get ironout from homedepot or lowes, it has potassium permanganate in it as well.

Alfcea
05-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Punisher... Are these the snails you introduced deliberately into your tank a few months ago?

PUNISHER VETTE
05-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Punisher... Are these the snails you introduced deliberately into your tank a few months ago?

You must have me confused with someone else because i would never deliberately introduce snails to my tanks.

seeing as how hate them with a passion.

dblzz
05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
the veggie thing works good but put a loach in there let him eat them up then bring him back to lfs a bit bigger and fatter, they norm go for that.the assians will help controll the prob with population but not rid them all the way freshwater nirite snails are great also they dont breed in fresh water but they lay eggs on the glass you scrape them off with a razor and dont eat the live plants

Wild Turkey
05-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Sorry to say punn, though I can feel your frustration, the only options with shrimp in the tank would be the trap/lettuce method, removing them by hand, and cut back on feeding. If you stick with it, it will make a big difference eventually.

The issue is food source when it comes to breeding, and they have one. Take it away
Trim dead plant matter asap, remove anything they may be able to eat, like algae, and cut back on feeding.

Alfcea
05-11-2009, 09:37 PM
You must have me confused with someone else because i would never deliberately introduce snails to my tanks.

seeing as how hate them with a passion.
Oooops, sorry.... I wonder who that was, then... Anyways, sorry!

Gemini
05-11-2009, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=korith] There was a member selling assassin snails late last year here, but haven't seen them on in ages. I believe there are a few people over on arizonainverts.com forum that sell the assassin snails. I plan on getting a few myself, I have the same problem as you, snails in a few tanks but also shrimp. QUOTE]
Sounguru - he used to be here heaps but he's a mod know at arizonainverts.com
I would love to get some assassins but can't find them here in Aust.
I dont' know any other suggestions for you either sorry.

PUNISHER VETTE
05-12-2009, 02:23 AM
yeah. I'll try the boiled lettuce technique and see what happens.

I really need to trim the tank back and clean it up. It's been a LONG time since i've done anything to it and you can tell. and by a long time i mean since i set it up a month and a half ago.

I've got hygrophilla growing about 2 inches our of the water needing to be trimmed.

Oscar_freak12321
05-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Boiled lettuce is really the easiest way to go. Seeing as you can do this multiple times with snails, this is also very efficient.

geowashlaw
05-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Do yo-yo loaches eat shrimp ... because I bought one and it wiped out the snails in my tank in about 3 days ... and they were everywhere ... and they are a kinda small fish ... max size is about 6"

Oscar_freak12321
05-12-2009, 02:46 AM
They can, but I haven't seen that out of YoYo loaches before, or at least not very often...

Lady Hobbs
05-12-2009, 04:09 AM
An algae pellet dropped in a jar and laid sideways on the bottom of the tank draws the snails out, as well. Or just drop one on the bottom of the tank at night and first thing in the morning it will be covered with snails. You can easily net them out.