PDA

View Full Version : plecos & cold water?

aquasteph
05-11-2009, 05:28 AM
is it possible for a sailfin pleco to be in a cold water tank?

Little Embers
05-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't advise it NO! they need to be kept in temperatures from 74*F ( 24*C) upwards.

Jacko
05-11-2009, 12:14 PM
I disagree, alot of people successfully keep sailfins and common plecos in outdoor ponds year round. I think so long as the tank remains at a constant temp (no major fluctuations between night and day) there shouldn't be an issue once the pleco is accustomed to the temp.

aquasteph
05-11-2009, 08:32 PM
the tank would be indoors so there won't be much fluctuation between day & night. he's been in a tank at approx 80 degrees for the past year i've had him, but he's really just outgrowing the tank and beating up on my snails. i have a tank that's about 20 gal. bigger so i'm thinking about putting him in there...

William
05-11-2009, 08:40 PM
No experince with sailfins but regular plecos do well in indoor unheated ponds. atleast if you keep room temperature inside. (20C+)

aquasteph
05-11-2009, 08:43 PM
a filter is a must though, right?
i don't have much experience with ponds but i'm under the impression that most have filters.
my dad built one once at my grandma's when i was a little kid but i can't really remember :/

William
05-11-2009, 09:20 PM
It all depends on size and stocking. A filter is always a big plus.

smaug
05-11-2009, 11:18 PM
A filter is a must,whether it be a bio or mechaniacl,some means of dispelling ammonia must be in place.Less so with very big ponds that aer lightly stocked more so with smaller ponds no matter the stocking.Mechanical isnt nearly as important as bio.My local pet shp has a big indoor pond with quite a few common plecs in it.The temps in the store stay around 70deg in that part of the building.These plecs are huge,well over a foot and half.I would love to throw my sailfin in the pond but I know he wouldnt make in in the winter.Maybe in florida or the other very warm states this could be done outside but I dont think it would be doable where you are from.

aquasteph
05-12-2009, 12:42 AM
i'm not building a pond i was just wondering
because i'm transferring him to a larger tank
and i was thinking about making it cold water

i'd love to have a pond someday but right now
we're thinking about moving so...

thank you for all your advice

Oscar_freak12321
05-12-2009, 02:27 AM
I have a friend who has a sailfin in his pond. He's nice and healthy and my buddy has never had any problems with him.

Gayle
05-12-2009, 02:47 AM
It should be ok. I keep mine in a fairly warm tank, but as long as it is not really chilly your pleco should do fine. My mom kept my pleco in a fish bowl on the kitchen counter with no filter or heat for who knows how long after the goldfish died. LOL That is why he is mine now! He is fine, he is a bit small for his age, but I think that was the size of the tank more than anything. They are pretty tough fish.

When you do move it though, be sure to slowly adjust it to the new temp.

I probably would use a filter however, better to be safe now than have a sick fishy later.

aquasteph
05-12-2009, 05:13 AM
good to know

Little Embers
05-12-2009, 09:23 AM
I would just be concerned about any temperature fluctuations.

I wouldn't advise it NO! they need to be kept in temperatures from 74*F ( 24*C) upwards.

I sincerely don't want to start any heated disagreements here. I said what I said and it is only what I would do, because I always try to keep conditions as similar to what the fish's natural conditions would be in the wild and plecos come from quite warm climates so I would try to maintain a warm temperature for them. I don't feel that fish should have to adjust if it isn't necessary. Probably being a bit of a hypocrite by saying that though since my ember tetras are in a PH that isn't really what they prefer in the wild. (blush)

I also think that if it is a tank, a filter is a must.