PDA

View Full Version : Cucumber

Fins
05-11-2009, 01:53 AM
I gave my Plecos cucumbers for the first time yesterday. I got a couple of forks at China-Mart so I wouldn't get in trouble and put a slice in each tank. It took a while but they both took a liking to them. My little BN ate the whole center out of her slice. Surprised she didn't have a stomach ache this morning.

My question would be about the amounts to feed and how often to feed this to them? My BN doesn't seem to like the algae wafers any more. Not sure what she was eating. Today she is real active, maybe looking for more cucumber.

Thanks for the advice. It's always good.

Red
05-11-2009, 01:55 AM
I feed mine every three days, and sometimes 1 or 2 wafers..

rich311k
05-11-2009, 02:01 AM
I put in veggies every thrid day.

Gayle
05-11-2009, 02:14 AM
I feed my pleco veggies once a week, and proteins once a week. Several days apart. Be careful because they will get lazy and stop cleaning if you hand them their meals too often. And please do not leave uneaten food in the tank for very long. (12 hours max, but should be less IMO)

Dave66
05-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Algae wafers are poor fare - look at the ingredients on the back and compare them to the ingredients of a decent regular fish food.

As to how much vegetables, gage how much is consumed in 24 hours, then adjust where there's a little left, so you can determine how much your Loricariads need.

Dave

Jaster
05-11-2009, 02:53 AM
I give my BNs a cucc on Sat night as a treat. I do the same with bloodworms for the other fish in the tank. Sunday morning I take what is left of the cucc out of the tank and do my normal Sunday water change and cleaning.
I use to give them cucc evry couple days because they loved it so much I found exactly what Gayle said... they wanted cucc and stopped cleaning. I actually had to stop giving it to them for a few weeks to get them to start cleaning again.

Ashley
05-11-2009, 02:57 AM
I gave both of my plecos zuccini and they didn't touch it. I think it was because they were both fairly new to the tank still. I may try cucumber soon though. Mine love those algae wafers though. I just bought the NLS H2O soluable brand of wafers, and they really like those. I'm going to try some blood worms too.

Typej084
05-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I give my 2 b/n's zuccini every third day or so, they wont touch cucumber. They also take on the leftovers of the spinach the mollies don't eat. But sounding like the others they wont clean or eat the algae wafers for a day or 2 after the big feed.