PDA

View Full Version : proper way to dispose of snails?

matthew.shelly
05-11-2009, 01:36 AM
:help: how do you handle too many snails? a friend of mine has a tank that has become overcrowded with malaysian trumpet snails and he's not sure exactly how to get rid of them. he borrowed my old 1.5 gallon cube and set it up t start dumping some in there just so there are less in his tank.
he still wants to have some in his tank, so he doesnt want to kill them all. he just wants to know how he can get rid of them. he obviously doesnt want to flush them. hes trying to see if he could sell some on ebay or craigslist, but he doesnt really want to deal with shipping them all the time.
how do other people generally deal with snail over-population?

OscarFan
05-11-2009, 01:38 AM
I Used to feed them to my Oscar but since I got my apistos i havent had a problem.

Miltonic
05-11-2009, 01:46 AM
tell your friend he should get some loaches, they love snails and keep their population under control. I would recommend the yoyo loach or the clown loach if he has the room to keep longe term since they get pretty big.

rich311k
05-11-2009, 01:49 AM
Feed less and the population will self regulate.

Red
05-11-2009, 01:54 AM
I have my own tank for them, to feed to my loaches. Some people just throw them away, but don't flush them!

Kaz
05-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Put a boiled leaf of lettuce in in the evening.

In the morning almost every snail will be on the lettuce.

Oscar_freak12321
05-11-2009, 02:13 AM
GET SOME CLOWN LOACHES! Those guys eat snails like there's no tomorrow! They're fun to watch, they are slow growing, and they probably don't eat all of them, though they do eat a lot.

Algenco
05-11-2009, 02:16 AM
I have 2- 10g that are used to grow snails for my clown loachs, they love them

matthew.shelly
05-11-2009, 02:46 AM
his tank is only 12 gallons. he really can't get clown loaches.

Oscar_freak12321
05-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Hmmm....then I would go with a YoYo loach. They only get to six inches and do the job just as well. If not, I would suggest the boiled lettuce thing. I didn't think about that. I should havem but I didn't. Anyways, try some YoYo loaches. Good luck!

matthew.shelly
05-11-2009, 03:07 AM
alright. thanks for all the help guys. ill let him know tomorrow when i see him.
thanks!

toddnbecka
05-11-2009, 04:14 AM
First, collect as many of the excess snails as possible.
Then list them on e-bay; you'd be shocked at what some folks will pay for the critters.
Bag them in a ziploc with a damp piece of paper towel, not water.
Offer free shipping. Anything under 13 oz can go First Class Mail. A small box, sandwich-size bag, and wet paper towel will be less than that.

BobGly
12-28-2016, 09:52 PM
My fish tank is overwhelmed with snails- I have an assassin snail but the population grows faster then he can handle- If I get a YoYo loach and he eats all the snails what will he eat then,
Thank you

mermaidwannabe
01-08-2017, 07:11 PM
My fish tank is overwhelmed with snails- I have an assassin snail but the population grows faster then he can handle- If I get a YoYo loach and he eats all the snails what will he eat then,
Thank you

He probably wouldn't eat ALL the snails, and since what's left would continue to breed, he should have plenty of future snails to feed on. Also, research yo-yo loaches to see what else they eat. Snails are probably not their only food source.