PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Veggies

handrew
05-11-2009, 01:25 AM
I was wondering what would be some good fresh veggies to feed my pleco? I have one common pleco that is about 9" long ( I finally measured him) and two spotted sailfin plecos. I am not sure if that is the proper name for the latter but that is what they were listed as. I have read some places about cucumbers and zucchini but am not sure what is the best. Also, there are some differences in opinions about whether to give fresh or to blanch them. So my real question is what veggies would make good treats and how should I prepare them? Also, what purpose does blanching them serve?

Red
05-11-2009, 01:25 AM
cucumber, zuccini..

troy
05-11-2009, 01:27 AM
All my fish have preferred zucchini over cucumber. I blanch them first. it softens the food for the fish. Some other options are broccoli and spinach.

handrew
05-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Would you need to blanch the broccoli to soften it also? I want to start adding some fresh veggies and am planning to stop by the store on my way home from work in the morning. What all fish would enjoy these treats? I have ghost shrimp, the plecos, several kuhli loaches, several weather loaches, and several corys. Would my rainbow shark eat them? I see him nibbling at my plants so I am unsure if he may like these also. Thanks so far for the information.

Gayle
05-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Zuchinni is my plecos fav veggie. I do not blanch it, I just wash, peel, and cut it. He also loves peas, but they poo so much as it is I only let him have them every great once in a while. Peas need to be cooked and the outer shell removed. He will eat spinach leaves, and green beans too (gb must be cooked). He did eat a little fresh Romaine heart, but he was not crazy about it. My Gouramis eat the veggies too. My pleco also rather enjoys blood worms, krill and fry food. Oh yeah and Gourami eggs, and new fry...........