PDA

View Full Version : How many?

Paleofish
05-10-2009, 01:45 AM
I am going to buy a 100g pond and I would like to have Shubunkin, Common and maybe a comet.

But how many could i have?

smaug
05-10-2009, 02:09 AM
5-6 fish that get no bigger then 6-8".No koi.Make sure to have a very good biofilter and a pump thaty will move at least 250gph.

gm72
05-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Yes, I think Smaug has it right across the board here. Great advice.

Paleofish
05-10-2009, 02:31 AM
5-6 fish that get no bigger then 6-8".No koi.Make sure to have a very good biofilter and a pump thaty will move at least 250gph.

Thanks! I just hope the goldies i get don't become one of those giant ones lol.

smaug
05-10-2009, 03:24 AM
IMO,fancytail goldfish with bright colors make the best fish for small ornamental ponds.Comets are a bit rambuctious for smaller ponds and can jump out if the water gets a bit high.Stay away from bubble eye goldys because they are too easily damaged in an outdoor environment.

Paleofish
05-10-2009, 03:57 AM
What breed of fancy would do good?

I might just get 3 shubunkin and 2 common then. But i might think about fancy ones if they look good.

smaug
05-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I am unfamiliar with goldfish specifics but i have seen some real beautys in ponds locally.Do you have any dedicated pond shops in your area?If so go check out ones with display ponds and get some ideas of what types you would like.Keep in mind that if if do your job with water quality these fish live for decades so make your choices wisely as you will be a max cap real quick.

Paleofish
05-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Sadly i don't.:scry: I think i'm a bit far south for them or something.

I'll make a thread and ask people if they would post top views of there fish in their ponds.

saix88
05-11-2009, 12:47 PM
You can only have fancies in your 100g pond or two long bodied.

Smaug I don't know why you would tell him to go to a pond shop when any store carries fancies and a pond shop would be most likely to carry the long bodies which he shouldn't have.

You said you don't want those monstrous fish so you obviously don't want any long bodied fish...

Paleofish
05-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Hm it seems this one Wakin got to 18"

saix88
05-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Hm it seems this one Wakin got to 18"

Can always get a Jikin too. It's all based on genetics and tank/pond size that determines a goldfishes size. You won't be stunting them if you do the 20g rule which applies to wakins and jikins, so all that is left is genetics to determine it's size.

Paleofish
05-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Ok so 20g a Wakin right? Fives a pretty good number.

smaug
05-16-2009, 01:21 AM
You can only have fancies in your 100g pond or two long bodied.

Smaug I don't know why you would tell him to go to a pond shop when any store carries fancies and a pond shop would be most likely to carry the long bodies which he shouldn't have.

You said you don't want those monstrous fish so you obviously don't want any long bodied fish...
Pond shops in my area carry many types of goldys.I just bought tonight 4 fancy tails from a pond shop.My experience led me to suggest that.Also,fish sold from a pond shop are kept outdoors thus would be more likely to acclimate properly to the outdoor environment then a goldy sold from a store where they were kept indoors in a warmer more clean water situation.And yes he could have so called long bodies such as short tail comets,just not as many as he could fancys.Does this make my suggestion seem clearer to you now?

saix88
05-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Pond shops in my area carry many types of goldys.I just bought tonight 4 fancy tails from a pond shop.My experience led me to suggest that.Also,fish sold from a pond shop are kept outdoors thus would be more likely to acclimate properly to the outdoor environment then a goldy sold from a store where they were kept indoors in a warmer more clean water situation.And yes he could have so called long bodies such as short tail comets,just not as many as he could fancys.Does this make my suggestion seem clearer to you now?

sure......

smaug
05-16-2009, 05:03 PM
sure......
Wondeful,,,,,,,,,,,,:sconfused:

Paleofish
05-17-2009, 11:20 AM
This is the plant a fish stock i plan on adding. Tell me what you guys think.

Fish.
5 or 6 Wakin's.

Plants.
Anacharis
Parrots feather.
Hornwort
Some species of lilie.

And here is the most likely going to be the way the filter is setup.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd121/wolf11112/DIYfilter2.jpg

smaug
05-17-2009, 05:24 PM
In your filter,if you mean floss as the very fine pillow fluff,I wouldnt use that.In a pond situation it will clog almost everyday.Use very coarse filter material otherwise the upkeep will be extensive.You dont have to filter a pond as fine as you would an inside tank,a pond never gets real clean no matter what you do.If you can afford one I do recomend getting a uv green water algae killer.This will make your water sparkly clear with very little trouble at all.A small 9 watt would do a great job for you and be well under 100 bucks.

gm72
05-17-2009, 06:14 PM
In your filter,if you mean floss as the very fine pillow fluff,I wouldnt use that.In a pond situation it will clog almost everyday.Use very coarse filter material otherwise the upkeep will be extensive.You dont have to filter a pond as fine as you would an inside tank,a pond never gets real clean no matter what you do.If you can afford one I do recomend getting a uv green water algae killer.This will make your water sparkly clear with very little trouble at all.A small 9 watt would do a great job for you and be well under 100 bucks.

Good information, great suggestion.

Paleofish
05-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Ok thanks, I guess i will just go with my first idea of having just lave rock as the biomedia.:22:

smaug
05-18-2009, 12:43 AM
By all means use some sort of filter foam as well,just keep it coarse.It will allow you to remove jusnk from the water a bit better then just lava rock.

Paleofish
05-18-2009, 01:49 AM
I will see if i can find some of the filter foam and if i can find it i will put it in.

smaug
05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
It can be bought off the net from most any pond supply.Good luck,you will love your pond,fair warning ,later you WILL want a bigger one,make it as big now as you can afford and have the room for.They are a major pain to redo ,trust me.