PDA

View Full Version : Hardy cold water schooler

gm72
05-09-2009, 10:11 PM
I am looking for a hardy cold water schooler. I have tried multiple schools of white clouds and have had poor luck with them. My water parameters are solid yet I start out with a school of a dozen or so and they slowly become thin and die.

Tank information:
38 gallon at 68-70 degrees
NitrAtes never more than 20-30. Zero ammonia and nitrIte.
2 gold dojo loaches
1 paradise gourami
Down to 2 white clouds. Have bulked the school up to 12 twice now only to have them die off.
Soft water
Weekly 50% water changes
AC110
Tahitian Moon Sand substrate
2 pieces Mopani
Not planted

Little Embers
05-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Gee!! I thought White Clouds were the hardiest of them all (maybe the nitrate got to them over time). We don't have many choices of coldwater fish in our area, all we can get are either goldfish, white cloud mountain minnows, gold medakas (rice fish), Danios and coldwater platies (but they seem to have no colour whatsoever).

Sorry not much help!

gm72
05-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Well I always thought the white clouds would be hardy as well but I am just not having good luck with them. I can't imagine the nitrAtes getting to them at these levels, but I don't know.

They were all purchased from the same shop, maybe weak stock?

labnjab
05-09-2009, 11:38 PM
How about male guppies? I also read that the dojo loaches like to school as well

rich311k
05-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I beleive many types of barbs do well in cool water tanks.

Dave66
05-09-2009, 11:45 PM
GM,
Those two temperate danio species would probably work for you; Danio margaritatus, D. choprai. Wild-caught primarily still, so you'd miss out on probably Asian-bred White Clouds.

You'd have to plant the tank, though, for those species. Looked into Hillstream loaches yet?

Dave

Little Embers
05-09-2009, 11:46 PM
They were all purchased from the same shop, maybe weak stock?

I was thinking that as well...perhaps you could try white clouds one more time, since you still have 2 left (will make them feel better) but buy them from another store this time. If these also waste away, then you know that something is definitely not right for them in the tank.

gm72
05-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I greatly appreciate all of the feedback here.

Dave, I have not looked into Hillstream loaches, know nothing of them. Will do some research.

Algenco
05-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Is it possible the Paradise is killing the WC?
Hillstream loachs are neat, you'll need to set up strong currents to keep them happy

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-10-2009, 01:19 AM
Hillstream loaches would be a really cool idea (pardon the pun) as they are not a species commonly kept. As Algenco mentioned, you will want strong current to keep them happy. They will prefer a linear current as apposed to a variable current, in the wild, these fish like to hang out on rocks all day in cool fast flowing streams.
If you are looking for a good cool water algae eater, some members of the Chaetostoma genus will enjoy the cooler waters as well.

gm72
05-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Is it possible the Paradise is killing the WC?
Hillstream loachs are neat, you'll need to set up strong currents to keep them happy

I don't think the Paradise is what is killing off the WC, but great suggestion. I base my response on what I see of their behavior. I don't see any aggression. However that being said I might be missing something!

Dave66
05-10-2009, 02:30 AM
gm,
Get on the other side of the room, and stay still until the fish ignore you. You'd probably see the aggression then, which you wouldn't close to the tank, since the fish go into feeding response.

Paradise fish are notorious for picking on smaller tankmates, and the flowing fins of other fish.

Dave

Algenco
05-10-2009, 02:45 AM
gm,
Get on the other side of the room, and stay still until the fish ignore you. You'd probably see the aggression then, which you wouldn't close to the tank, since the fish go into feeding response.

Paradise fish are notorious for picking on smaller tankmates, and the flowing fins of other fish.

Dave

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/iagree.gifhttp://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/hesaid.gif

Wild Turkey
05-10-2009, 02:46 AM
It really sounds like something is going on here, I would try to find out whats happening to the white clouds like suggested.

You raise a good point and if trying again, I would buy from another location if possible just to rule that out.

My favorite way to observe my fish is through my web camera, since they ignore it completely, however i can move it remotely and look around.