PDA

View Full Version : Rat euth or not

Wild Turkey
05-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Fed the babies last night, my oldest (by far) daemon, who is blind and around 4 years old wouldnt come out of the igloo to eat.

This morning found her out of the igloo, laying on her side, labored breathing.
Not much movement out of her. Ive separated her and now gotta decide whether its better to let her have her run at it or euth. She doesnt seem to be in a tremendous amount of pain, just very weak. I've seen it plenty before, but my methods have changed a lot since then so..

Any opinions?

If it makes a difference my euth method for small animals is a co2 chamber.

She is obviously dying of old age. Her counterpart just recently passed due to an impacted molar just before the 4 year mark. Im just not sure if shes in pain or not, maybe someone can lend me a hint?

Northernguy
05-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry to hear it mate!
Thats a hard thing to watch!:11:

Please empty your box now!lol

troy
05-09-2009, 03:30 PM
I think if she isn't in much pain leave her be.

Red
05-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I think if she isn't in much pain leave her be.

I agree, but if the pain gets to bad, then I would do it. Sorry for rat:22: :22:

gm72
05-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Tough call here. Since we really aren't able to accurately assess the pain level it's somewhat a guessing game. I think I would spend as much time with her as possible over the weekend and see how she does. If it appears as though there is pain and you are sure it is old age then I probably would euthanize rather than prolong suffering.

Wild Turkey
05-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Box emptied!

Thanks for the advice guys i will watch her very closely today and let you guys know how it goes

Gayle
05-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Well it is all about the quailty of life now, not the quanity. If she is not eating, not moving around, and has labored breathing, I would recommend euth. Not to come across rude or anything, but how enjoyable is life at this point? Really she could go on for any amount of time just like this, hours, days, or weeks. I just feel that when it gets to the point where they are alive but not living it is time to euth.Also almost all rats over two years have tumors,they are very rapidly growing tumors. It is possible that she has a tumor that has grown to the point it is consricting her airway. That happened to Gizmo, there was no way to remove it. It is a very hard choice to make. I know you gave her a great life! I am so sorry.

Ryuu
05-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I agree with the If she seems not not be in pain just watch closely

Little Embers
05-09-2009, 11:58 PM
I am so very sorry to hear that Wild Turkey. I had a rat once that was at that stage, but in my case though I was holding her and everytime I tried to place her back in the cage she would immediately struggle back onto my shoulder, so I just sat down and held her as that is what she seemed to want. I was going to euthanise her but she passed away naturally a few hours later.

I do agree with the sentiments of gm72 and gayle.

Wild Turkey
05-10-2009, 02:42 AM
After a close inspection with my fingers (rare, she bites) she does have a large tumor on her side. Knowing this, looks like the decision is made up for me.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone and special thanks to gayle

I will have RIP pics up sometime soon for both her and penguin,
Purchased in 05', I feel happy for them as they both lived long rich lives and dyed of causes common to fancy rats.

chel
05-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Sorry to hear you lost one, I'm impressed by how long it lived ... good and humane decision.

Sharon
05-11-2009, 12:37 AM
It's great that you gave her such a good life...and as easy a death as possible. Good for you!:ssmile:

Red
05-11-2009, 01:25 AM
sorry for the loss..