PDA

View Full Version : flourite + tank. now what?

Wallyfish
03-02-2007, 10:30 AM
I've decided to start experimenting with plants so I now have a brand new tank. This one is an eclipse 6 which sits on my desk. I have a small layer of flourite on the bottom and the water is currently being mechanically filtered of all of the cloudyness. I was wondering, do you usually have a top layer of gravel over the flourite? I think maybe it would help to prevent any dust being kicked up. What plants should I grow first? Also, at what point do I worry about CO2 injection and what method is best to use? Are liquid fertilizers necessary?

Lady Hobbs
03-02-2007, 02:28 PM
For that small of a tank you need not worry about co2 injection. Just get a couple very small plants that will grown under low light conditons. Possibly a java fern attached to a rock or some moss is plenty.

You need nothing but flourite. Gravel will not hold down the cloud and that will disappear.

Chrona
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I've decided to start experimenting with plants so I now have a brand new tank. This one is an eclipse 6 which sits on my desk. I have a small layer of flourite on the bottom and the water is currently being mechanically filtered of all of the cloudyness. I was wondering, do you usually have a top layer of gravel over the flourite? I think maybe it would help to prevent any dust being kicked up. What plants should I grow first? Also, at what point do I worry about CO2 injection and what method is best to use? Are liquid fertilizers necessary?

How much lighting is on an Eclipse 6? Liquid ferts are really only neccesary for plants that draw from the water column, like java fern, java moss, etc. If you get anubias or heavy root feeders, then you should try some Flourish tabs, or just not worry about it at all. I would recommend you remove the carbon from your filter though. CO2 injections will come later. You don't want to have to deal with that now. Also, do not use water clarifers to remove the flourite dust.

Lady Hobbs
03-02-2007, 04:07 PM
I would never use a clarifier again in my lifetime. My pH went from 7.6 to about 5 after adding just a small bit of clarifier and weeks of water changing to get the rest of it out of the water. It may have given a false reading but was scarey nonetheless.

Fill a vase from the kitchen, test the pH, then add about 2 drops of clarifier and see what you get. I used Auqa Clear so don't know if they all mess you up but that one sure did me.